Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots at random when clicking something

• Please log in to reply

Promojo

Promojo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice so far about other problems.
This time my computer tends to reboot at random when I click on something or open something. This is weird because it reboots only some of the time, not always. For example it sometimes reboots when clicking on a file to download when using LimeWire, sometimes reboots when opening Internet explorer, and sometimes reboots when doing a Windows Search, or sometimes when running a scan with a virus/adware checker.

I read the post posted by ndion35 and checked the event manager on MyComputer, and found red X's around the time of last reboot. The file source is "nview_info".

Also a new problem I have is when windows XP restarts, it shows a error message that reads: "Error: Event Logger not found" . The screen remains clean with just the windows wallpaper and no desktop icons or taskbar (cannot access taskbar or start menu). I opened the task manager with alt+ctrl+del and launched explorer, and all the desktop icons and taskbar appeared and windows works as normal. But I have to do this every time the computer reboots. This new problem arised after I had the Trojan smitfraud virus. The computer had the reboot problem before this though

Thanks, hope you have some advice!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Promojo. Probably a couple of different things going on. The taks bar start menu issue is probably caused by internet explorer. There is a repair and/or reinstall guide pinned in the internet forum "repair of IE6" at http://www.geekstogo...er_60-t251.html.

The random reboot issue could be caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Start checking each of these out thoroughly to rule it out as the cause. Check your fans, make sure your system is not over heating. If you need to clean them, used canned air. You can test your memory with http://www.memtest.org/. Make sure you have current drivers installed. If you need to update your video driver, make sure you remove the old driver, and then run Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/ in the safe mode, TWICE, deleting all that finds. If it is still happening after all of this, it could be the power supply. What make of power supply do you have and what are the amps/volts ratings on the lable on the side of the power supply?