Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop sloooooow no matter what I try to do

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Here it is!

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=8
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=901b604c5520ab469d756edeca80d5e5
# engine=16541
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2014-01-07 05:09:50
# local_time=2014-01-07 12:09:50 (-0500, Eastern Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.0.6002 NT Service Pack 2
# compatibility_mode=774 16777213 71 76 0 0 0 0
# compatibility_mode=5892 16776574 100 95 49982887 225678918 0 0
# scanned=220632
# found=2
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=8001
sh=D151E7414F4F1235618C07597C2FBD7BF6A085FC ft=1 fh=1f1121e252168752 vn="a variant of Win32/Sefnit.CV trojan" ac=I fn="C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\URmedia\iTunesMod.dll"
sh=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ft=- fh=0000000000000000 vn="multiple threats" ac=I fn="${Memory}"
ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=8
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=901b604c5520ab469d756edeca80d5e5
# engine=16553
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2014-01-07 11:56:46
# local_time=2014-01-07 06:56:46 (-0500, Eastern Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.0.6002 NT Service Pack 2
# compatibility_mode=774 16777213 71 76 0 0 0 0
# compatibility_mode=5892 16776574 100 95 50050503 225746534 0 0
# scanned=205269
# found=3
# cleaned=3
# scan_time=7371
sh=DB76C8BAA594DDC836E512C5EADCC01D3E553FEC ft=0 fh=0000000000000000 vn="Win32/Boaxxe.BE trojan (cleaned by deleting - quarantined)" ac=C fn="C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\janjdigbkdafilcchjkhighpbobahehg\2.0.0\background.js"
sh=D151E7414F4F1235618C07597C2FBD7BF6A085FC ft=1 fh=1f1121e252168752 vn="a variant of Win32/Sefnit.CV trojan (cleaned by deleting (after the next restart) - quarantined)" ac=C fn="C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\URmedia\iTunesMod.dll"
sh=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ft=- fh=0000000000000000 vn="a variant of Win32/Sefnit.CV trojan (contained infected files)" ac=C fn="${Memory}"

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi CZ2761,

I see a 3rd infection was detected by ESET and cleansed that was found in the Chrome browser. That browser was a mess. Personally, I would just uninstall Chrome. To do that, please follow the instructions below:

• Click on the StartPosted Image > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  • Scroll down to find Chrome, Right click and choose Uninstall.
  • Exit Control Panel.

Next:
  • Click on the StartPosted Image > Computer > Local Disk C: > Programs > Google.
  • Right click on the Chrome folder and choose Delete.

If you would like to reinstall Chrome, you can get the download from Ninite that will be found under the Web Browsers.

Next:

Let's clean up Firefox:

Download SpeedyFox for Windows (570kb) that is found under Download: to your desktop.
  • Click on the download link then Save File button in the box that pops up..
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon (for Vista and above, right click and choose Run as administrator).
  • Next, click on the Posted Image button and allow it to complete.
Shouldn't take very long depending on how big the Firefox profile is.

Next:

Reset the Windows Firewall:

• Click on Start Posted Image > Run...
  • Copy/paste the following into Run... and click OK

firewall.cpl

(Alternatively: Start Posted Image > Control Panel > Windows Firewall)
  • Click on the Change Settings > Advanced (tab) > Restore Defaults[/b]
  • At the prompt click on Yes > OK

Next:
  • Click on Change Settings > General (tab) > and select On (recommended) > Apply > OK.

Let me know if you are experiencing any further problems and how the system is running.

Donna :)

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Okay, Chrome is gone, Firefox is cleaned up, and the firewall is reset. So far, everything is running smoothly. I'm so glad we caught that when we did. Thank you so much for all your help (again)! I'll be sure to let you know if something seems fishy.

:thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome! :)

Don't run off just yet, please! We need to uninstall our tools, update Adobe Reader, get Spybot S&D reinstalled and I have a few tips I'd like to share with you. Please read thoroughly. <--Very Important

To reinstall Spybot S&D, please do so from the Ninite site. You'll find the download listed under Security.

Uninstall ComboFix:
  • Click Start > Run and type combofix /uninstall in the Run box.
  • Press Enter
This will remove Combofix from your computer.

Uninstall AdwCleaner:
Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
  • Click on the Uninstall button.
  • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
  • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.

Right click and delete the following:

Security Check
Speedyfox (or you can keep to optimize Firefox about once a month or so)
ListChkDskResult
AVG Removal Tool

To remove ESET:

Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features then right click and Uninstall (if found).
Then got to Start > Computer > Programs and right click on the ESET folder and delete.

And finally! (phew!) Uninstall OTL:

OTL Clean-Up

Right click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop and choose Run as administrator to open the main window.

Next click on the Posted Image button.

Once clean up is complete you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Please do so.

This will remove the rest of the programs we had used, including OTL itself.

If there are any left over tools or logs on your computer please delete them now.

Next:

Clear Restore Points <--Very Important!

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button
Posted Image

It wouldn't hurt to go back and click on the Disk Cleanup button either, then defrag if you like.

Next:

Keep your software Updated:

Out of date Adobe Reader installed! <--Very Important!

Your Adobe reader needs updating. You should ensure you use the latest Adobe Reader and install any security updates that are released. You can download the latest reader and updates from here.

As a side note: I'd suggest uninstalling it and using FoxIt Reader. Adobe has become very vulnerable over the last couple of years and really uses up resources more than FoxIt Reader. The "footprint" for Foxit Reader is considerably smaller than Adobe's and consequently uses less resources (RAM as well as hard drive space). It's been said that there are a few things Foxit cannot do compared to Adobe, but I haven't come across them yet.

If you choose to install Foxit Reader, please be advised that you may have to uncheck any pre-checked software. Choose custom install.

If you'd like, you can download Foxit Reader from here, though make sure to uninstall Adobe Reader.

The choice is yours.

Next:

Windows Updates

It is essential that you regularly check and install the latest Windows Updates. Vulnerabilities within Windows can leave your computer open to infection. Regular updates are released to fix these security vulnerabilities. It is recommended that you set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

• Click StartPosted Image
  • Select Control Panel
  • Click on Automatic (recommended)
  • Set the day and time for the update check. Set this to a time when your computer will normally be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Next:

Ccleaner is already installed

NOTE:
Ccleaner includes a Registry cleaner, and we advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

TOUR > http://www.piriform....er-installation

Next:

TFC-Temporary File Cleaner by Oldtimer

Download TFC-Temporary File Cleaner

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, somake sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
  • Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
  • Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Do not be alarmed when the desktop disappears. It will reappear on reboot.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning. Use TFC prior to Disk Cleanup then defrag about once a month.

Next:

Update Checker

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly. It will show you which programs on your system need to be updated and will provide a download link for you.

Next:

Malwarebytes AntiMalware (MBAM) is installed as well. Use MBAM at least twice a month depending on how often you use your computer. Make sure to click on the Update tab to update the program before running a scan.

And finally:

Here are a few links you might find interesting that will educate and enhance your online surfing abilities:

"So how did I get infected in the first place?" by Tony Klein and updated by Corrine
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected by quietman7
How to prevent Malware: by miekemoes

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask! Any member on this site will be more then happy to guide you in your quest for safe surfing and to prevent infection.

I'll leave this thread open for a couple days just in case you encounter any issues or have questions.

Happy and safe computing!

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Okay I did everything you recommended, including getting rid of Adobe Reader for FoxIt. Everything is running great now and I can't thank you enough for helping me fix my laptop not once, but twice! Hopefully I won't have any more problems, but if I do I'll definitely let you or another member know.

Once again, thank you!!!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank you,