Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my overclocking.

• Please log in to reply

Hubbs

Hubbs

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello there.

Im totally new to the overclocking world and i do have a old PC at home and i kinda wanna speed it up abit so i can play some games better to kill time.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core 3800+ 2.00 Ghz
Motherboard: AWRDACPI - AM2
Ram: 3,5 Gigs
BIOS: Phoenix - Award v6.00PG

I just wanna know what settings i should go for to get the maximum performance out of it.
I hope the information is helpful please do ask if you need more information.
I tryed overclocking by myself by some guides that overclocked the same CPU that i have but my monitor wont start at all after my computer restarts after the overclocking. I dont know what voltage i should pick since his bios is alot more different than mine so im stuck! Thanks again.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: Hubbs

Overclocking is not something that we help with on this particular forum, this forum is where we help with repairing damaged computers (some as a result of overclocking gone wrong), we can point you in the right direction though so that you get the sound advice that you need to get started.

Can you post a Speccy url for us please so that we have some more detailed information about the MB and Ram etc.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello there Phill! And thanks for the welcome.

Here is some more detailed information about my rig i hope it helps!

Ram: 3x 1GB Rams 400 Mhz - 1x 512 MB 400 Mhz.

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 Dual core 3800+ - 2.00 Ghz.

Motherboard: "ABIT-KN8" - Socket 939.

Power Supply: 620W.

I also screenshoted my Dxdiag and abit more detailed information about my PC, i hope it also helps.

DXDiag: http://i.imgur.com/gga8cEH.jpg

CPU: http://i.imgur.com/7FKNO3H.jpg

Ram: http://i.imgur.com/AJTkMle.jpg

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello Hubbs

Can I ask what you use for your graphics/video.

An OC guide for you courtesy of Wolfram23 here

Please note that OCing does produce more heat so it is very important that you have an appropriate cooling system, how many case fans do you have, what size is your case full or mid tower for example.

You are welcome btw :thumbsup:

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey there Phill! Thanks alot for the help once again.

My Graphic card: 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT

My case is full tower. And i got 2 Chassi fans, 1 Mini-fan on the mother board, 1 Graphic fan, 1 Harddisk cooler and 1 CPU Cooler. Also a big fan top of the case.

Edited by Hubbs, 28 November 2013 - 01:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello Hubbs

Your cooling system sounds fine but I feel that your present hardware will limit your options, if you are able to overclock the CPU but not the Ram or video card for example you will create a bottleneck, this caused by slower hardware not being able to keep up with faster hardware, the 256MB of video memory on the 7800 GT is also a major restriction :(

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey there Phill,

Yeah my uncle tryed overclocking my PC some minutes ago he is working with computers and he said exactly the same thing as you said. But he said he had a amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ somewhere so i guess that CPU will do for a while and i will probably order a better graphic card in few days, its not really worth to overclock the current PC i have so ill just upgrade it for some cheap parts.

But i'd like to thank you alot Phill! You been a great support and i wish you GL my friend!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello Hubbs

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on with it and/or if you have any questions along the way :thumbsup: