Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to Buy Budget Duplex Colour MFP. Please help!

• Please log in to reply

ArionIV

ArionIV

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi.

I'm looking forward to buy an Auto-Duplexing, Colour MFP. I don't really care about fax, wifi,etc. They're just frills to me.

Just Print, Scan,Copy - preferably mid to high-end text, graphics and photo output. But I'll give text and graphics the priority. Budget is somewhere between 120-150 dollars at the max., could go 10 dollars or even 20 over max limit, but then you need to convince me please and then I got to convince Paa (my father).

Please, please, please...I've been looking for a few months now, its a new year's purchase for the family and office work. I possibly want something that works good for at least 5 years or so.

Thanks in advance. :surrender: :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday ArionIV .
Don't think I will be of much help for this one as I do not run a MFP but have separate scanner, colour printer and B/W laser printer. Ask yourself these questions.
What is wrong with your existing unit?
How often do you scan material?
How often do you print colour images?
How often do you print docs?
Depending on your answers.
If just one function is not good enough, buy a unit for that function.
e.g. Doc printing, get a laser printer.

Happen another member may have suggestion.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday. Glad to find you helping me here too.

So here go my considerations:

1.Every now and then there are quite a few documents I would like to scan.In fact the need has only grown over the years and yet I have had to make do without a scanner(lack of time and knowledge to even try and search for one). I'm now tired of making do and also I got some long-distance University friends(ok call them acquaintances), I would like to scan my notes and send them. I like working things the informal way now. I don't have time to skype.

2. Printing, well I got a lot of pdf books - ok,ok - that may sound bad but then an education just costs too much given that I feel the need to learn so many things and yes I will take what others give for free saying its the student community's right.

Then Paa would like the printer to work for his office requirements too. Heck, I'll be interning prhaps in an year and a half or so. So given I want it to stay long-term -- decent(read perhaps a min. of 400) duty cycle, avg paper rack size.

3. Oh and you just never know how many times you got to get copies of this identification document, that little page of information or other large stuff(study materials from some other person) -- in short the printer's going to be busy-- more home use now then high office use.( by the way if you try and get copies done at a shop they're charging you higher now - very high inflation in India these days). By the way Paa's a lawyer(hence his needs).

And also Ma likes those Google ads about women getting onto the internet. She has always wanted to learn at least basic Microsoft applications,etc. And she's now opening up to the idea of social networks too. Then yes I get to her printing needs - she would love to print a few recipes now and then. She has always had a habit of collecting good recipes.

I must say I have benefited quite a bit from that habit - given I'm a vegetarian she always tries to dish out something new that she could learn someplace. Take my word she cooks well just like all mothers.

Ok, I get your point too that individual things could work better. I'm game for it if we get to a good set of individual solutions. Oh yes Duplex printing matters much coz I hate wasting paper and in any case the University publishes on average 40-page documents in the name of mock-question papers and solutions.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
Sorry ArionIV, just not able to help you on this one. Spent some time reviewing different units, but each time I have found suitable ones, they are not available in your region. You will need to look for reviews published locally, an important factor for laser or ink, is the cost of the consumables.

Let use have an update please on your build topic.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

I'm posting this reply here coz I'll now perhaps directly post the build there. Some delivery delays here on my side but I guess by the mid o nxt week I should get done with the build.

I'e looked and looked yet again. I guess the key is to know beforehand when a manufacturer is about to launch a new range of printers. I understand you too must feel puzzled like me. Ater all is not just something that gets put into the case or connected to a port and displays its usability on your monitor screens.

I think Canon's got what I need only worry is I hear ink cartridges cost a bit too much. The MX527(I think this one- don't remember well - has Auto Duplexing, great output quality on all fronts and yes in my budget range off the etailer's shelf).

http://www.infibeam....4706-cat-z.html
:confused:
I hear HP has decent prices on cartridges. But there are just too many reports of disappointments regarding MFPs. People keep saying they aren't now what they were earlier.
:confused:
Laser of course is out of the question. You get only B/W(monochrome) in my price range. Then running costs aren't going to be those that befit a household. I got the motherboard speaker by the way.
There's MG5470 too, only pricier and I can't seem to draw any comparisons. There are no sites perhaps for comparing. Though I haven't checked Newegg as of yet.

http://www.ebay.in/i...1#ht_4137wt_932

I have also gotten busy with trying to assess my old system sell it off wih the printer mouse and all. I shall keep the speakers though. JBL Platinum series give decent audio good enough for online courseware videos I usually watch. Also last I played the Spiderman 3 disc, it gave a decent performance. I'll still latch on to it for a few more years perhaps. :happy:

Edited by ArionIV, 05 December 2013 - 02:15 AM.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok here's the comparison from newegg:

http://www.newegg.co...2-517:$$$$33$$$

Really the lower price nails it. There's talk of the display being a great help. I've checked on epson and Brother printers. Only the priciest ones are available. HP 7252 All in One too has a good sound to it. But I don't see great prices and then negative comments about HP.