Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to NAS for backup

• Please log in to reply

sallyw

sallyw

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Computer running windows7 ultimate 64bit
Synology DS212 with Data replicator 3 for backup.
I switched from verizon to comcast so IP address changed.

i can access the drive using synology assistant by opening browser and entering IP Address.

I cannot see it over the network. When I run the data replicator/backup program, the server is found but i get message "the network path was not found."

thanks for any assistance,

Sally

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Computer running windows7 ultimate 64bit
Synology DS212 with Data replicator 3 for backup.
I switched from verizon to comcast so IP address changed.

i can access the drive using synology assistant by opening browser and entering IP Address.

Hi,

What happens if you type in the windows search box \\IP_Addres_of_NAS?
You should get a prompt for your user name and password do access the NAS.

On the NAS configuration make sure the Windows File Server is enabled and active, open System Information and check the Service tab it should be green.

If you have the firewall enabled on the NAS with strict rules for a specific network (192.168.1.x for example) and the network IP changed to something else (192.168.200.x) you must adjust the rules.

sallyw

sallyw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Apologies for delay. i've been away since early morning.

when i search for \\10.0.0.22 i get a message
windows cannot access \\10.0.0.22
check the spelling of the name. otherwise there might be a problem with your network.

Question re: On the NAS configuration make sure the Windows File Server is enabled and active, open System Information and check the Service tab it should be green.
the windows file server is enabled - workgroup is workgroup. is that standard? I'm assuming because it's enabled it it also active.

the firewall is enabled on the LAN for all access.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Apologies for delay. i've been away since early morning.

when i search for \\10.0.0.22 i get a message
windows cannot access \\10.0.0.22
check the spelling of the name. otherwise there might be a problem with your network.

Question re: On the NAS configuration make sure the Windows File Server is enabled and active, open System Information and check the Service tab it should be green.
the windows file server is enabled - workgroup is workgroup. is that standard? I'm assuming because it's enabled it it also active.

the firewall is enabled on the LAN for all access.

I didn't understand exactly the last part regarding the firewall, try to disable the firewall on the NAS and see if it makes any difference.

Did you try to restart the NAS?

sallyw

sallyw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The firewall is enabled for all access - all ports, all protocol, source IP.

By restarting the NAS do you mean to turn it off and then on? that didn't change the result with the firewall on or off.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The firewall is enabled for all access - all ports, all protocol, source IP.

By restarting the NAS do you mean to turn it off and then on? that didn't change the result with the firewall on or off.

The NAS is essentially a computer you should restart it by using the corresponding option on the web interface and not simply turn it off on the button.

sallyw

sallyw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i rebooted from NAS software. i can see the files and opened a word doc when logged in by NAS software.

i just can't get any of my computers to see it on the network.

The only real difference since my last backup is the switch from verizon to comcast. IP addresses changed.

Perhaps shutting down browser and turning on various devices 1 at a time, starting with the NAS?

thx,

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

The only thing I'm remember right now is to check the Network profile selected in your Windows machine if you are running Windows 7 or above, set it to Work Network instead of Public that could block the access to the network shares.

If you need help to do this check Change a Network Type in Windows 7

sallyw

sallyw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The network type is "home".
Tried changing all to "work" but that didn't help.
Now trying to find a way to determine my PC's internal ip address with hope that will enable me to give it permission of some sort.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Now trying to find a way to determine my PC's internal ip address with hope that will enable me to give it permission of some sort.

That will not be needed if you disable the firewall on the NAS.

Do you have any Antivirus program installed on the computer that includes a firewall? or do you have only the windows firewall active?

sallyw

sallyw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I was able to add the NAS to the network on 1 computer. Still working on 2nd. I'll keep trying but the one I that's all set was the most important, for now.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the firewall is enabled. for that reason, I've enabled, even with all access allowed.

Thanks.

Sally

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Sally,

What you did to fix the problem on the one that is working?