Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp update service pack 2

• Please log in to reply

jky007

jky007

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I know that is is highly recommended that we install windows xp update service pack 2. I tried this on our computer, and after it was installed, I kept getting a blue window saying an error message and was unable to access my normal windows desktop. This kept happening until finally I uninstalled the service pack in safemode. After that, I was able to access Windows as usual. I don't understand why this happened and what I should do since the only thing that changed was installing the service pack!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
~Jen

Advertisements

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
what did the blue screen say what was the message

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
it is definetly the SP2 check with microsoft they get stuff like this all the time :tazz: and also plz do what jolen said ;) ;) :tazz:

jky007

jky007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It said something like Windows has been prevented from starting in Normal mode to prevent further damage. If it's the first time you've seen this message, just restart the computer. If not, use safe mode and check with any new programs or files that were installed.

Since the latter was the only thing I could think of, I uninstalled the service pack. That made the computer work in Windows normal mode again...

~Jen