Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning error when trying to install OS on new Hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

hypakz

hypakz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys. So this is a long story, i'll try to condense it as much as possible.
Built my first computer. Everything was fine. Then my hard drive started squealing and it would freeze until the squealing stopped. This would come and go. I deduced that it was a capacitor issue and filed an RMA with Western Digital.

When my new HDD came I tried to clone the drive. But every time the cloning got to a certain sector the original HDD would squeal again and freeze. I could not clone. I backed up all my data and wanted to do a clean install of windows on my new HDD.

I only have the media upgrade for windows 7, so I tried using that first. I got the message "windows cannot partition selected drive" when I booted to the install disk. I contacted Western Digital and they RMA'd me again.

Third drive came, same problem. I tried deleting all existing partitions and make a new one to install on but same result. I thought it might be the disk. So i downloaded a windows iso file to a flash drive and tried that. Again it could not format. However, if i formatted the disk using my existing windows (connecting my working-but dying hard drive and the new one and then using disk manager) I could create partitions.

Then If i tried to install using the iso file on the flash drive I could get to the installation I would inevitably get some error about not being able to transfer files or not being able to copy files required for installation or not being able to set the offline locale information during install. None of these mean anything to me. I tried using windows 7 enterprise iso instead, but that didn't work either.

I then tried installing Ubuntu to my HDD, using the flash drive. Again I got the "cannot partition the disk" error.

It doesn't seem possible that BOTH of my RMA HDD's are broken. It has to be something else, right?

I have no idea what to do, have spent a week on this, am nervous I won't get it fixed and am at a complete loss. Please, any help would be appreciated so much. I have no idea where to go from here.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday hypakz, Posted Image
Say your post a whild back bu had no useful suggestion, but have come across someone with same issue and a fix.if you still have the problem, try this
Take safety measures by turning off the PSU and disconnect from the wall socke. Open the case, take anti static measure by briefly touching a unpainted metal part of the case.
Unplug from the MB the cable that goes to the front case USB sockets. Unplug all other hardware pluggedinto USB socket except the keyboard/mouse.
Leave the case open as you will need to reattach the USB cable when finished.
Connect the power and try to instil the OS using the Optical drive.