Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading PSU

• Please log in to reply

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys!

I recently bought an ASUS CM6730 desktop and want to upgrade the PSU to a higher watts one. The one i currently have is a AcBel HBA008-zA1gt 350 (http://oi41.tinypic.com/2moxkix.jpg) with the fan facing the outside instead of being at the top. Can anyone recommend me a good PSU that will be compatible with my system?

Edited by Waytoglow, 29 November 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Waytoglow , Posted Image
I have been unable to find a image of the back of the computer case, so if possible, can you take a pick showing the PSU.
We need to know if it is at the top of the case or the bottom and which side the power cord plugs in.
Is the upgrade to support a particular video card? brand/model please. Or you just want a PSU with higher wattage?
This is the existing, > http://us.estore.asu...t_detail&p=5628

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Gday folks

I noticed that there are more than one variant of the ASUS Essentio CM6730, these include the CM6730, CM6730 - 05 and CM6730 - 06, to help iammykyl with recommending the most appropriate PSU for you can you confirm the exact model that you have, the only images that I could find showing the rear of the case are the CM6730 - 06 model which show the PSU to be a generic top mounted PSU that has an external facing fan, please expand the Newegg photo gallery to view the additional images and then confirm whether or not your PSU is mounted the same, images to view are here

NB: JFYI, the difference between the various models include upgraded processors (i3 to i5) and the output of the PSU, the present PSU is 350W but the model at the attached link has a 300W PSU which suggests that it is not the model that you have.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Phillpower2.
Great info, helps a lot. Posted Image

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Gday Waytoglow , Posted Image
I have been unable to find a image of the back of the computer case, so if possible, can you take a pick showing the PSU.
We need to know if it is at the top of the case or the bottom and which side the power cord plugs in.
Is the upgrade to support a particular video card? brand/model please. Or you just want a PSU with higher wattage?
This is the existing, > http://us.estore.asu...t_detail&p=5628

Gday folks

I noticed that there are more than one variant of the ASUS Essentio CM6730, these include the CM6730, CM6730 - 05 and CM6730 - 06, to help iammykyl with recommending the most appropriate PSU for you can you confirm the exact model that you have, the only images that I could find showing the rear of the case are the CM6730 - 06 model which show the PSU to be a generic top mounted PSU that has an external facing fan, please expand the Newegg photo gallery to view the additional images and then confirm whether or not your PSU is mounted the same, images to view are here

NB: JFYI, the difference between the various models include upgraded processors (i3 to i5) and the output of the PSU, the present PSU is 350W but the model at the attached link has a 300W PSU which suggests that it is not the model that you have.

Thanks for responding guys!

The exact model that i have is a CM6730-08 desktop with the PSU mounted at the top. I found the exact model on ebay showing the rear here and here. It has the same specs as mine such as 16gigs of RAM, intel i7-3770 at 3.4ghz, network card and Nvidia GT 630. I'm upgrading to support a new mid-range video card such as the Geforce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7870 in the near future. 500 - 550 watts would be at what i'm looking to upgrade to.

Edited by Waytoglow, 30 November 2013 - 10:13 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
Any one shown will be tops for your requirements. All will deliver 43v + on the 12V output and have 2x6+2 PCI-E cables.
> http://www.newegg.co...341-050:$$$$$$$

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm looking into getting the modular OCZ ZT series psu. I have a concern with the fan position though. The fan won't be facing the exterior at all if I install the OZT psu. Will that cause heating problems or something?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
There is no harm in having more power than what the system presently requires + keep in mind that you may wish to add further upgrades in the future such as additional HDDs etc, with this in mind I suggest that you consider the 650W OCZ ZT which is available here, $74.99 initially and $59.99 after claiming the mail in rebate.

You are both welcome BTW :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Phillpower2, well spotted, definitely worth going up to the 650w.

I have a concern with the fan position though. The fan won't be facing the exterior at all if I install the OZT

The exhaust fan is next to the power socket and switch, this faces out the back. For your case, you would install with the large intake fan facing down into the case. This will take some hot air through the fan but will not cause a heat problem.
Tutorial, > http://www.hardwares...com/article/362
See figure 12, support the PSU.
see figure 16, PSU is the correct way up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the help all! I decided on phillpower2's recommendation. This will be the first time i mess with the internals of a PC so i'm a bit nervous but it doesn't seem so hard judging from the videos I've seen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Excuse the title of the guide here any questions please let us know.

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sadly i overlooked a huge detail, which was the size. The PSU is too large to fit in my case and i'm in the process of returning it to Newegg. On the bright side the removal and re installation of my current PSU went smoothly and the next time i do it it will be a breeze.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Sorry to hear about the problem with the replacement PSU :(

I read a thread regarding possible upgrades to the same model of computer here the difference in the PSU dimensions is minimal :unsure:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Which dimension was wrong please? Which one are you considering using?