Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading PSU

• Please log in to reply

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The width. The back of the PSU almost reached the CD drive with no space for adding cables. I'm guessing i need something that's an inch smaller in width. Possibly this from phillpower2's link.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

The back of the PSU almost reached the CD drive with no space for adding cables. I'm guessing i need something that's an inch smaller in width.

From the back of the case to the CD play, (front of the case) is the length of the PSU, the width is from side to side.

On the first link, has the one you received, no good, and the one you are going to order, still no good. The difference in the length is tiny, cable management will still be hard.
> http://www.newegg.co...139-048:$$$$$$$
All on the second link are shorter and will power you system, not a lot of choice, caution, the Antec is not modular.
> http://www.newegg.co...256-065:$$$$$$$

I would take off both side panels, remove the old PSU, unscrew the CD player and slide it forward, install the new PSU and if enough room, hide any excess cabling behind the right side panel. slide back the CD playe and refasten.

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I'm willing to spend a bit more for the modular/semi modular PSU's. Apart from that Silverstone PSU, i've found these by Corsair that will also fit in my case. link. What wattage do you think i should get? After i get the graphics card i probably won't be able to fit anything else in there. I'm looking into getting a gtx 660ti or 670. Would i be able to run those on 500w?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
500W is fine for the 660 Ti as it requires a minimum 450W PSU, the 670 requires a minimum 500W PSU but I would opt for a minimum of a 550W PSU to allow for a bit of wiggle room in case you want to add additional cooling fans etc later on, please note that both cards require two Xs supplemental power connections from the PSU (commonly the 6 pin PCI-E type).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
+1 for the 550w.

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the help all. I've successfully installed a new PSU and i just installed my new GTX 760. I'm worrying over the airflow in the case now. The new card releases a ton of heat and there aren't any fans that bring air in or out of the case. There are two places that i can place a fan in and that's the area under the PSU and at the front of the case just under the hard drive and in front of the graphics card (although it seems to be covered.) Most of the heat will be coming from the PSU so i'm not sure how to set up the fans.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
You PSU should be installed with the big fan facing down into thee case, Correct??
this will take some heat from inside the case and exhaust out the back.
Can you give the model of your computer/case again please.

Waytoglow

Waytoglow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, the PSU is facing down. I have the ASUS Cm6730. This video (skip to 5:30 minutes) shows the internals of the case and that's exactly how my case looks like on the inside plus this graphics card. Fro what i know, the GPU coolers just pushes the heat away from it and into my case and that's what worries me.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
There is a place for a fan at the front but not usable as no intake path to the outside of the case.
An exhaust fan will go at the back. Please measure between the holes indicated in the image.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Did you manage to install an exhaust fan? did it make a difference?

Advertisements