Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windown 8.1 search problem.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, Just a quick one. I am unable to fill forms in that contain the letter 's' as windows 8.1 'search' comes in from the right side thinking I want to enter a search. How do I stop it? (I don't know if it is relevant but I am using Classic Start Menu).

Steve.

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hi Ste,

I tried to duplicate your issue on my Windows 8.1 machine, but could not. Hence, I'm not sure if you have a system problem or a system configuration issue. To just address the issue of filling out a form and being able to use the "S" without triggering a Search, although not the best solution, but you could disable Search temporarily. (Link in the next paragraph has instructions on how to perform a Search Disable)

Here is a link to much more detailed information on Search in Windows 8.1. Perhaps by working through this information, you might find a better solution that what I've suggested.

Also, if other would like to weigh in on this, please do :)

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks for the reply, I meant to get back about this. A friend of mine told me to just reset the browser (Internet Explorer) and to my surprise that worked. I didn't think it was that simple and I thought it was more to do with Wind 8 settings as it also responded to other letters before resetting it, obviously shortcuts. I'm still a bit confused about it so I'll be looking through the info at the link you left for future problems, for now though it's seems to be solved. Thanks again.

Steve.