Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing and Nonresponding Programs [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Delilah45

Delilah45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Done.

Ok, good :) Use it for a bit and let me know whether it's running noticeably faster or if there is no change in in speed.

Delilah45

Delilah45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It was running better yesterday, but this thing called COM Surrogate showed up, and it's back to where it was before

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

It was running better yesterday, but this thing called COM Surrogate showed up, and it's back to where it was before

Did it give you an error message regarding COM Surrogate? Such as "Com surrogate has stopped working" or such?

Delilah45

Delilah45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No, and it's gone again now, but still has something like 83% memory taken up

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi :)

Let's turn off DEP [Data Execution Prevention] for dllhost.exe and see if that helps any. Once completed, use the machine normally for about 12 hours and let me know if it's performing any faster.

Please follow the instructions below.

1. Go to Start then right click on computer (below recent items), and click on properties.

2. Click on advanced system settings, and then click on settings.

3. Select the "Data Execution Protection" tab, and then click the 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select' option.¯

4. Click the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe

5. Click Open, click OK on the warning message.

6. Click Apply/OK.

Delilah45

Delilah45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done!

I noticed something calling itself dllhst3g.exe while doing so. Is that normal?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Done!

I noticed something calling itself dllhst3g.exe while doing so. Is that normal?

dllhst3g.exe is a process associated with Microsoft® Windows :) Let me know how the machine runs for you after about 12 hours of normal usage. Whether you are noticing any difference in processing speed or not.

Delilah45

Delilah45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have been using this computer, and it still runs slow. The programs freeze occasionally, but they no longer crash-at least, they haven't so far

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi :) I'm currently working up our next step for approval by my teacher. As soon as I finish it and submit it to him, I'll be posting it for you. :)

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello, :)

Let's remove a file that ESET found earlier and update your Adobe Reader.

The biggest problem that is contributing to the slow downs and freezes is the lack of memory on your computer. You only have 1 GB of memory on the machine, and once all the services load up, most of it is consumed. When we shut down all but the essential services, it got better, but not by much. Adding a GB of memory will help immensely.

Let's get rid of that file from earlier and update your Adobe Reader program as it's out of date.

Please disable your anti-virus protections for the duration of this fix. Please don't forget to re-enable them afterwards.

Step 1: OTL Fix

Warning: This fix is to be used on this system and this system ONLY. Using this fix on any other machine other than yours can seriously damage it.

Be advised that when the fix commences, it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot.

Run OTL

• Copy the text in the quote box below (do not copy the word "quote") and paste in the in the box marked Custom Scans/Fixes as shown in the graphic below.

Posted Image

:Commands
[createrestorepoint]

:Files
C:\Users\Bria\Downloads\SFInstaller_SFFZ_filezilla_8992693_.exe

:Commands
[reboot]

• Click the Run Fix button at the top of the OTL control panel.
  • Let the program run until it's finished and then reboot the computer.
  • Once your machine has rebooted, a log will open. Please post that log in your next reply.
  • If the log fails to open, you can find a copy of it here: C:\_OTL\MovedFiles

If you have any problems, questions, or need further explanation, please post a message in this thread and I will get back to you asap.

Step 2: Update Adobe Reader

• Malware will exploit any vulnerabilities it can find in outdated software. If you are using Adobe Reader for reading pdf files, try using FoxIt Reader. It is a very capable alternative to Adobe.
  • Please click here to download FoxIt Reader.
  • If you wish to continue to use Adobe Reader, then please update it by clicking here.
  • Please remember to uncheck the option to install McAfee's Security Suite.

Step 3: Run Crucial System Scanner

Run the System Scanner at Crucial.com and it will provide you with memory that is compatible with your machine and give you the costs. :)

http://www.crucial.c.../systemscanner/

Things I need to see in your next post:

OTL Fix Log

Once I see that this file is removed and Adobe updated successfully, we'll have a couple more things to tidy up with. :) :thumbsup:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
User returned.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello and welcome back :)

We can pick this up right where we left off, please post the fix log from the last OTL fix.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.