Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont boot

• Please log in to reply

hunterfranke

hunterfranke

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi ive had my computer for about 3 years now and its worked perfectly. but now for some reason it wont boot up i dont know if its an issue with the power supply or my graphics card i dont know what the sudden problem is it started happening about 2 days ago
please help

Edited by hunterfranke, 30 November 2013 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Is it turning on at all?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
:welcome: hunterfranke

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

hunterfranke

hunterfranke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I apologies I have been trying to get back to the website. I have a standard hp pavilion desktop.I replaced the power supply when I bought the computer it's a 750 watt and I've had it about 3 years now. It does not turn on at all the fan in the power supply will kick over when I press the power button but it only starts occasionally and when it does it runs for about 5 min and then shuts off obruptly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
I suggest that you remove the PSU and do the most basic of tests to see if it stays running once it has been activated, please see the included video for how to do the test, please note that connecting a case fan is not required with all brands of PSU, incidentally you mention having a 750W PSU but what brand is it, we need to know this information because there are so many poor quality imported brands out there I`m afraid.

Have you tried removing the Ram and video card, blowing out the slots and then replacing them, if not do so when you test the PSU in case something has a poor contact and is interrupting the POST (power on self test).