Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply

dolface

dolface

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok I have this problem staying connected to the internet....about a month ago I was forced to change service providers and have had nothing but problems trying to stay connected to the internet....I can log on but most of the time the minute I try changing websites the internet kicks me off. I then have to run my cache cleaner and CCleaner 3 or 4 times before I can try logging online again....I keep getting the same error messages which I will attach at the end of this description. I have run Malware Bytes, and Virus scan both with the updated definitions. I've tried resetting the modem. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the drivers and the network adapter several times with no success.
Even typing this message I've been kicked off 3 times and had to start all over again

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400
running Windows XP Home SP3
Using both Mozilla and Google Chrome
not sure what other information you need other than that....if someone has maybe an idea that I haven't come up with I would be greatly appreciated, as the laptop is pretty much my only form of communication since I lost my voice.

Attached File  Doc1.txt   2bytes   173 downloads

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc2.txt   2bytes   169 downloads

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

about a month ago I was forced to change service providers and have had nothing but problems

Who is the service provider ? That sounds like the problem to me the service provider.

I keep getting the same error messages which I will attach at the end of this description.

What's the Error message? Your attachments are blank.

Lets run a few tools.

Please download MiniToolBox http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Restore Points

Click Go and post the result.

Next

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Next

Copy and paste the text in the code box below into Notepad.
@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator" .

Next

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and click on Begin Test

When the Test finishes click on Share This Result and then select Forum then Copy then move to a reply and Ctrl + v

Thanks
Joe :)

dolface

dolface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for your help with this...I've been going buggy trying to think of something I might have missed other then the computer being 4 yrs older then moses (LOL)

I am going to go through and follow your instructions, but I wanted to let you know that I have a feeling the problems I'm incurring with this stupid thing is that the wireless network card is starting to go. This morning I enabled the wired network card this morning and the internet is working fine with no errors other then the occasional shockwave error I get in Facebook.

I will work on your instructions tomorrow morning and I will post all the results I get from that
Thank you so much again for your help

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello dolface,

internet is working fine with no errors

See how it runs for a while. If everything is OK no need to run those scans.

Thanks
Joe :)

dolface

dolface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea its the stupid net card on its last legs been wired with no problems except the occasional flash error in facebook, which is good apperently
just have to go get a dingle and use that I guess....been a pain in the [bleep] wired
but thank you again for your interest in helping me too me a brain drain moment to figure out its the card not computer

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Thanks dolface,

For replying back to me.

It's always the last thing you check that fixes it :)

Joe