Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB Problem.

• Please log in to reply

FliX

FliX

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have had my computer for about... half a year now and been having these same problems for a little bit now. Never really looked into them until now. Here are my system specs.

Intel P4 3.0 GHz
120 HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB Vid (Also On Board ATI 9100 128 Chipset)
On Board Sound (Installed 16-Bit sound blaster)
On Board Network
1 Gig of RAM

I have a few problems with my system, I was wondering if you guys could help me out a lil.

Problem 1: Low FPS in games - Counter-Strike: Source around 45 FPS. Personally I think it should be higher, so if any knows how to tweak it or find a fix let me know :tazz:.

Problem 2: Computer restarts for no reason while playing games. Overheating... I don't really know the problem.

Would having two vid cards on my mobo have a big difference?

I have
---->Radeon 9100 IGP
---->Radeon 9800 Pro
---->Radeon 9800 Pro - Secondary
for my display adapters in my device manager.

It would be nice to get some help on this issue.

Thank you in advance,
FliX.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
first I would go into bios and disable the onboard video.
then go to the AGP settings in BIOS. it should be set for 4x or 8x currently. let us know which. also if the fast write is enabled or not.

do you have the latest drivers installed for your card? also, do you have the ATI catalyst pack installed- if so, go to the overdrive section, there should be a temp reading for your video card.

if you dont have the latest drivers, download the newest ones (grab the catalyt pack). unistall the old drivers, reboot, and install the newest ones.

if you are worried about overheating, report the temps on your processor, both at idle and under load (playing a game).

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, I don't think that it is overheating anymore. I think it is the onboard video that is colliding with the AGP Radeon. I just formatted my comp with fresh drivers for everything that I have, and I read your post about disabling it with the AGP/PCI. So I went to my device manager and unistalled the driver from there, booted up into my bios and made sure that setting was set.

After when I re-logged onto my computer it still found the drivers for the onboard chipset and it went to installed it and my computer just restarted itself.

Could it be the RAM, because I sent the error report once to Microsoft and they said that it was a ram problem. I ran the ramtest that they offered me and it ran for a day without any defaults. Or could it be my power supply doesn't give enough power to something.

Also the other day it crashed again (well everyday hour it does) and I decided send the error report again it it said something about lowering my bar in the advandce section in the troubleshoot tab in my display options. I did this but I couldn't run any games. This computer is only 6 months old so I don't think time has to do anything with it and these problems have been happening since I got it.

I don't know :tazz: Thx for the help, preciate it.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I want to make sure I understand correctly. did you reformat and reinstall everything, or just load new drivers for the mobo, etc?

what ram test did microsoft have you run?
it might be worth it to test your ram with memtest86. it creates a bootable floppy, and runs a series of tests. do one stick of ram at a time for at least an hour each, longer if you can-unless you start seeing errors on a stick. if that happens, try the other one.

could you list your motherboard make and model? would like to have a look at the manual for it, regarding disabling onboard audio and video.

you might also want to use everest home to check out the specs on your PC- I am mostly thinking of checking your temps with this at the moment.

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Formatted completely, and that was the test I ran for a day and nothing came up.

My mobo is P4R800-VM you already replied to another one of my post's at:
http://www.geekstogo...deo-t36443.html

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I couldnt find anything in the manual about disabling the onboard video, which generally implies it should automatically disable when a card is installed.

if your using catalyst, make sure it selected for the 9800.
there are also some other driver packages you could try, called omega, that I see some mentions of, but I havent used them myself.

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
In my catalyst control center under information it sais this:

Bus Type AGP
Current Bus Setting AGP Off

And the smartgart sets my AGP settings as off and my PCI as on and I can't move the bar to set an AGP speed.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
want to double check that you installed the motherboard drivers. those will include a driver for the AGP buss. it doesnt sound like they are installed or working correctly, since your agp shows as off.
also give me the bios settings your set to for the agp, preferably after display driver update.

grab the latest mobo driver package for your board, and install it, or just the display driver if its separate.

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset RADEON 9800 SERIES
Device ID 4E48
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 4026
Subsystem Vendor ID 1458

Bus Type AGP
Current Bus Setting AGP Off

BIOS Version 008.015.073.000
BIOS Part Number BK-ATI VER008.015.073.000
BIOS Date 2003/12/12

Memory Size 256 MB
Memory Type DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Core Clock in MHz 378 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 338 MHz

Primary Display Yes

Those are my settings.
Also I am dling the update for all of my onboard drivers right now, going to take a bit cause it only comes as a package.

Drezz

Drezz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmm... interesting...

I have had similar problems but I have a 9800XT and a 875P neo Motherboard, sometimes during games the PC reboots and comes up with an error message about the graphics card being overclocked and do I want to return it to the factory settings but the thing is I haven't overclocked it.

For me I just had to download the latest drivers, turn down the settings in the catalyst control centre and install a load of fans (I now have 5 case fans). This seems to have all but solved the problem, it still reboots somtimes.

Edited by Drezz, 20 June 2005 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My VPU recovery has detected that my graphic accelerator as stopped responding when I was playing a game.

Aslo here are my new settings after installing the new drivers.

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset RADEON 9800 SERIES
Device ID 4E48
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 4026
Subsystem Vendor ID 1458

Bus Type AGP
Current Bus Setting AGP 8X

BIOS Version 008.015.073.000
BIOS Part Number BK-ATI VER008.015.073.000
BIOS Date 2003/12/12

Memory Size 256 MB
Memory Type DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Core Clock in MHz 378 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 338 MHz

Primary Display Yes

AGP is now on.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
alright, so the agp is showing active, good. is it working for the games? still having stability issues?

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yeah I just had one, the computer restarted again by itself.

Uh I am getting really frustrated with this.

In my system information in conflicts/sharing the memory address is being shared with my PCI Bus, My Accelerated Graphics Port, and my Radeon 9800 is being shared. Could this be a problem?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I am wondering if the card is OK. take a look at the ATI specs for your card here- select your card, then hit compare at the bottom, it will give you the specs. the core clock and memory clock numbers dont match up right at all.
double check those numbers you posted, if that was correct, then its time to contact ATI. it can be a pain to go through their website to get a trouble ticket started, just keep jumping through their hoops and you'll get there.

FliX

FliX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey you know what I found out today, I don't have the latest drivers for my Gigabyte Graphics accelerator chip. You think that would have been causing the problems?