Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Really want to know your view of Seagate hard drives

• Please log in to reply

conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
A very knowledgeable techie on another website said : "I avoid Seagate like the plague and few other people I know in the business do too. From personal experience over the years, Seagate drive failure rates have far outweighed all other manufacturers combined."

I'm looking to have a computer built for me by allpczone, who has an exceedingly stellar rating on eBay. I want to get two 1 TB hard drives in my new computer. I'm also looking for a 2 TB hard drive to serve as a backup hard drive in some kind of external enclosure or dock. I could save a lot of money on the computer by going with Seagate. But…

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I've had a few western digital drives die on me, but I have a seagate portable that I've had since 2006 still going strong even after taking it through a year in Iraq and even having it in my pocket or rucksack for a few airborne jumps from about 1200 feet. Still works, still sucks to land on.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
There will be some models of both brands that excels and those usually have 5 year warranties on them. I have a Seagate Constellation 1TB in my i5 system and it's a server drive with a 5 year warranty. I have an old WD Green 500gig drive in my other build that's working since 2006. It was in my old AMD system and now in my i3 system I built in the last month of 2012.

Edited by Brazened, 02 December 2013 - 06:54 PM.