Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD TV Screen Burn/Clouding Fix

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Long time no see guys!

I've got a problem, one that I'm not an expert on. Basically I have a big LCD tv made by LG that I got back in 2009. It's worked absolutely fine over the years. I've never had a problem with it until now. Whenever it would get dirty I would often see dust buildup very lightly every four months. I'd wipe it away with a store bought LCD tv screen cleaner liquid and a clean microfiber cloth. Same deal every four months until...

Lately I've been having sleeping problems. So I decided to make use of the aquarium channel on my HD cable box. Basically it's a channel that shows a live aquarium with water flow noise all day long. Mind you I know about screen burn in. But I didn't think it would be a problem to leave the channel on while I slept this past month. Because the channel goes fully black every 15/20 mins.

Then came the day a week ago where I was watching a movie and noticed what looked to be very clouded areas on the tv. Almost like dark smudges... I figured it was dirty so I went ahead and cleaned it. That didn't remove anything, so I cleaned it again. Only to realize its not dirt, it's clouded areas of darkness on different parts of the screen. I believe that even though the aquarium channel (which I would let run it's course for 7/8 hours every night this past month), has probably caused some sort of clouding/burn in because some parts of the aquarium were black. By that I mean the fake reefs in the aquarium which were never really lit up, so when the screen would automatically go fully black every once in a while that probably didn't help at all because some areas were always dark.

Is there anyway for me to fix this without using software? At worst case I'll use software, I just hate installing new stuff. Anyways I've seen some screen burn in videos on YouTube that flicker colors or black and white for hours or less time. I have no idea if that works. I also saw a guy on Youtube say you should hold a cold ice pack in a cloth against the dark areas of the screen and comments swear it fixes it.

Please advise me as to which is best. I feel like using one of the burn in color videos on YouTube but need your advice before I go ahead with that. In case it makes things worse.

Thanks + Happy holidays

Advertisements