Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

macbook pro overheating problem

• Please log in to reply

luckyN7levin

luckyN7levin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hej guys i have a question for ANYBODY who knows anything about macbooks, my girlfriend and i were watching a movie on her macbook, and we noticed the fans working a bit more but didn't pay too much attention. then it just crashed and and we thought the thing was on almost all day so that was the cause of it, but now we wanted to watch another movie we played it for some 15 minutes and the laptop was getting hot again? i called a friend who has one too and asked him about it but he said its lack of ram i think Susan's mac has 4 gigs ram and i was trying to figure out if that is the problem and searching the net how to upgrade the ram, now my question is would it fix the over heating of the mac if i put more ram in it, if needed i have the specs of her mac, core 2 duo 2.53, 4GB ram, GeForce 9600M GT graphics, we were watching man of steel in HD i downloaded and it started to overheat and i think it also kidna distorted the video qulity for a few seconds.now i found an article on how to upgrade ram http://www.compuram....nd-macbook-pro/
would it help tu upgrade the ram ?

Advertisements

Z3n

Z3n

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
To fully understand the issue, I'd need you to reproduce it again and follow the steps below:

• Reproduce the above to a point where it is hot
  • Minimize the movie and open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder in Applications
  • Click the CPU tab, and then click the "% CPU" divider heading until you see an arrow pointing downwards. Note the top two entries by taking a screenshot with Cmd+Shift+4.
  • Click the Memory tab, and then click the "Memory" divider heading until you see an arrow pointing downwards. Note the top two entries by again taking a screenshot with Cmd+Shift+4.
  • Close out of the movie, and if possible reboot the computer.
  • Open http://imgur.com and upload both screenshots from your desktop.
  • Reply with the link to the images here.

Also, include the following in your reply:
  • Mac Model (Late/Early 201*) and OS Version (10.*)
  • Program used to watch movie
  • If this behavior has occurred any other time