Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok a minor issue with settings ..

• Please log in to reply

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Whats a royal pain is that my new laptops keyboard appears to have switched functions for two keys . I found out that its due to my language settings . Whats even more of a pain is that in setting it up Id made a mistake of setting it up to our home network ONLY so now the shop cant break into the system

Im wondering if this non tech can be walked through how to reset the laptop such that it can tap onto any network available no matter where I am

Currently when I switch the thing on it goes to this screen where it asks for my hotmail and password . Only then will it go to the desktop . Right now after I type in the password it automatically logs on to the home network .. outside it stops at the email and password stage and cant progress

Most days I use it only at home but Im sure that at some point I may need the shops help for something and may have to log on from outside

umm Im embarassed to yelp but HELP :P

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
From what I'm reading it sounds like you set it up as a microsoft account to log in, in order to switch it to a local account(where you just use a regular login and password instead of your email account) here's a guide for that. To connect to other wireless networks there are 2 ways, one way is to switch to the "desktop mode" and click the symbol in the tray on the bottom right of the screen that looks like a couple bars of different heights and select a new network, the other way is to use the settings panel that appears when you move your mouse to the top right or bottom right of the screen(but I don't have a windows 8 computer in front of me right now so I don't remember exactly where on that panel it is). I hope this helps.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

From what I'm reading it sounds like you set it up as a microsoft account to log in, in order to switch it to a local account(where you just use a regular login and password instead of your email account) here's a guide for that. To connect to other wireless networks there are 2 ways, one way is to switch to the "desktop mode" and click the symbol in the tray on the bottom right of the screen that looks like a couple bars of different heights and select a new network, the other way is to use the settings panel that appears when you move your mouse to the top right or bottom right of the screen(but I don't have a windows 8 computer in front of me right now so I don't remember exactly where on that panel it is). I hope this helps.

I think thats what I did . I set it to a hotmail because it prompted me to . I didnt know ..

1) with my keyboard issue I tried to add language and managed to set it to SIngapore English . I didnt remove the britih english option initially and there was some kind of prompt to download a language pack . I clicked ok . then realised it was downloading the british english pack which wasnt my region . I backed out in a hurry clicking cancel twice . I had to poke about awhile before I removed the UK english option and finally got my shift/2 = @ back

2) does it mean that each time Im outside I have to manually click switch to desktop mode.. at the hotmail sign on page? I dont see any desktop mode .. only airplane mode

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000063.JPG

Edited by henny-penny-1, 04 December 2013 - 09:15 AM.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I think I managed to switch to a local account ..

it requires a password though .. when I click the bars on the bottom left I see network options .. I gather thats how I will log on when outside ?

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

I think I managed to switch to a local account ..

it requires a password though .. when I click the bars on the bottom left I see network options .. I gather thats how I will log on when outside ?

Yes, if you want to remove the password completely from the account I can walk you through all that in a few hours when I get off work. Just let me know what you would like and I'll do my best to make a guide for you.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I think maybe no password is best ? Is it very complex to remove ? cos if it needs to go to the shop the tech might not know how to get in

Im not really tech savy ..

no hurry .. I am +8gmt so might take awhile to respond.. I work the night shift but am off for afew days

I have other questions too so one thing at a time .. my one celled brain cant handle it LOL

but when I click on skype I no longer sign in automatically its asking me to do something .. to sync accounts ? Im not suhre what that means

Edited by henny-penny-1, 04 December 2013 - 09:50 AM.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Skype is owned by Microsoft, so when you have a computer set up with a Microsoft account like you did, it automatically logs you in to certain things. Also, removing the password is easy so I will make a quick guide on that for you once I get home.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
lets see how it goes it would e interesting to know . if its not too complex I will remove it

it appears I can no longer use skype

so Im not sure what to do .. I cant figure out how to sign on without upsetting everything

kind of sorry to be bugging you with mundane questions .. take your time Im connected until morning

Update

I went to meddle about and found a link that said sign on for each app seperately ( not recommended ) . I clicked that and signed on with my hotmail to get onto skype

I managed to connect . To test it I signed out and rebooted. I got on the desktop again with no issues and managed to sign onto skype but via the separate sign on thing

Attached Thumbnails

• switchtoanmsaccount.png
  • sepacc.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 05 December 2013 - 02:02 AM.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
sorry it took so long for me to get back to this, I've been a little busy lately. I made this video for you to show how to change from a microsoft account to a local account without a password, though I do apologize for the lack of sound(it appears that my mic is broken).

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

sorry it took so long for me to get back to this, I've been a little busy lately. I made this video for you to show how to change from a microsoft account to a local account without a password, though I do apologize for the lack of sound(it appears that my mic is broken).

My turn to apologise for a delayed response . I work a permanent night shift so time online is erratic on some days

I dont have that laptop with me .. so chanced to view the clip at a public library. It was hard to picture the finer settings although i could picture the initial steps well

I will next have that laptop on this wednesday likely and will poke about then . If I cant figure it out .. I guess the only other option will be to let the shop have my password when and if I ever send it in for anything

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Sorry about that, I'll try again tomorrow, now that I have a working microphone it should make it a little easier since I'll be able to verbally walk you through the steps. If there's anything else that you can think of that you need me to show you just let me know.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Sorry about that, I'll try again tomorrow, now that I have a working microphone it should make it a little easier since I'll be able to verbally walk you through the steps. If there's anything else that you can think of that you need me to show you just let me know.

thank you ... no worries if it doesnt work out . Im off to bed in afew mins .. its near 840am :P

bed times at 9am .. I know my day amd nights are messed up because of my shifts hours

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I dont see users .. I am on a 'local account now I think'

cos I dont see the hot maijl sign in prompt anymore

but I cant locate any option for removal of log on to the desktop password

I guess it doesnt matter . thanks for trying

this was as far as I got

Attached Thumbnails

• settin.png