Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen keeps going black

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi.
My pc screen has been going black for the last 2 days.
The pc keeps running. If i turn the screen off and on again via the power button on the actual monitor, i can still see windows open and where it was at when the screen went black but it goes black again within about a second.
If i turn the pc on in the morning it is ok for about 15 minutes, then it starts again, same goes for getting home from work and turning the pc on. Once it starts doing this if i reboot it just doesn't come on but i can hear windows starting.
I have an old screen which i plugged in and it works fine, no cutting out to black screen. The other day i got a microsoft update which coincided with this problem. I restored the pc to the day before that but it still happens.
This pc has a processor, motherboard and vid card that are all about 3/4 weeks old. The screen is about 6 years old.
The only way i can turn the pc off is with the towers power button, i can't see the screen long enough to shut it down properly.
I would have thought that if the screen was broken it wouldn't display anything at all, but it works perfectly well for about 15/20 minutes. I have noticed a pixely kind of distortion in the very top right hand corner since i upgraded all the parts of the pc. That is sporadic.
Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
It to me may seem to be the monitor.You kind of proved it when you hooked up another monitor and there was no problem.
I had a similiar problem once the monitor warmed up that is when problem occured.

Does not seem to be the video card as it works with another monitor.

Any other issues happening?

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
No other issues. It did seem that the only thing was when it warmed up it didn't like it, i have been reading about driver conflicts and stuff, the drivers that came with the monitor are for Vista, but reading online it says they are compatible for windows 7. I ran the disc last night but to no avail. Also read something about certain resolutions causing trouble with microsoft updates. Can be misleading though :upset:
The screen was fine all the time i had it with the old set up. It has had that 'pixely' thing since i upgraded and i was wondering whether the more up to date hardware is just causing this conflict.
I think i might just plug the monitor into my daughters pc tomorrow and see what happens. Least i'll know for sure then.
Thanks for the response. Will let you know what happens when i have tried it in another pc.

This monitor (the working one)is 19" and the other one is 22", that is why i was wondering about the resolution thing i read about. Was going to try that tomorrow if the monitor works ok on another pc.

Edited by Sking0, 04 December 2013 - 02:45 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
YW, O.k. sounded like you tried another monitor on your PC and it worked,but one with trouble did not.

Rarely from what i know a monitor should not need drivers to work and if so it would run fine on Windows 7 native drivers if that is the case.

My monitor never came with a driver,works fine.

Which updates did you receive that you think caused a problem with the screen resolutions?

Your monitor should run at it's native resolution,according to what the video card resolution is capable of and you do have an HD card,check the Radeon's control panel,look for resolution,set is accordingly.

Make sure whatever cables you are using for the monitor, DVI, HDMI and VGA try different cables if you have any others to rule out a bad cable.Not sure what your 19" is using since it is one that was working now.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the Radeon HD 7850 which is more to think about then a monitor driver.amd

Good Luck!!

Edited by jds63, 04 December 2013 - 10:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Hello folks

Trying the computer with another display was the correct course of action (when one is available) so well done with your own initial troubleshooting, I concur with jds63 in that the original screen has the issue, possible causes may include heat, a bad backlight/inverter (if one is present) and a damaged soldered flow/joint which expands when warm and so breaks the electrical circuit, the latter btw can also happen to a PCB such as where the video cable connects to the displays video port.

FWIW you should also try starting the computer in Safe Mode to see if the issue still happens, this will mean that you are using the generic Windows video drivers and not those provided by either AMD or the manufacturer of the Radeon HD 7850 if it happens to be a third party such as ASUS or Sapphire etc.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi.
Tried the monitor in my daughters pc today....Same thing :(
Can't believe i didn't do that first, i suppose it was because it worked for a while and then stopped and i thought it may be a conflict or something. Used the same cable for both screens btw.
It did the same thing in safe mode. But anyway, no point in me telling you all the things i tried now, as trying it on my daughters pc is pretty conclusive.
Tempted to open the screen up and see if there is something broken and whether it is fixable. Bought a new one today anyway.
What with all the new components and now a new screen, near enough brand new pc. Hard drive will probably pack up next week. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Oh btw Phill, thanks for that bit about why to try in safe mode, never knew that would use different drivers. Handy to know.

Edited by Sking0, 05 December 2013 - 10:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Hello Sking0

What is the brand and model name or number of the screen so that we look for it`s specs.

Sometimes a dry joint or dirty contact can be the cause so see if you can borrow a cleaning agent like the example here

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi.

It is Hanns-G Hi221D. Model number HSG1041.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
The information that I can find does not say that it has a backlight - only LCD I`m afraid.

Does the screen have both a VGA and a DVI port, if yes then try the port that you do not normally use in case the other one has issues, you may need an adapter for this.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Ok. Thanks. Will have a go.

Unfortunately i don't have one of those adaptors, the port on the back of the screen is a DVI-D port and finding a DVI-D/VGA adaptor isn't easy, most of the ones on Amazon have really bad reviews saying it doesn't work, i think it might be because they tried it on an analogue monitor though. I have adapters from old Video cards but they aren't the right ones.
All the DVI-D ones i have found have male HDMI on the other end of the DVI-D.
Will keep looking, in doubt now whether the port is DVI-D or some other DVI?

Just found this,

http://www.codinghor...ration-101.html

This is the same as the one on the back of the monitor.

Edited by Sking0, 06 December 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
The adapters are not often required nowadays so many local tech stores may not have them in stock, they are readily available on ebay though - just be sure to check the listing to ensure the correct spec, most are the same brand (Startech) and cost £2 - £3 (or less but with more expensive P&P :whistling: ) use these prices as a guide and do not pay any more :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Got one. Will have to wait and see now. Will be interesting if it works. I'll be happy too.
Thanks for now Phill. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
You are most welcome and good luck Sking0 :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
The adapters came today. Got two, because the one coming from the Vid card had a different pin arrangement.
Tried all combinations and just got the 'No video signal' message. Strange cos the previous problem was that the monitor cut out after it warmed up. But anyway, i have had a new screen sitting here unboxed for a week, got that set up now and running from Vid card to monitor via HDMI cable. Lovely.
Thought i would let you know. Seems crazy to throw that old monitor :(
Thanks again Phill.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Sorry to hear that the adapters did not help to resolve the issue :(

Looks like you will have to put up with the shiny new screen :)