Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Can not boot

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I will try to be complete with info. 2 days ago Comp would not boot at all to get into Windows. Could not get to user names. It would boot in Safe Mode. I had just installed ESET Smart Security a few days before. In safe mode Excel and Windows Live Mail would not work. I did a System Restore and all was well,Excel and Live Mail worked fine. But I needed ESET'S help in uninstalling and and reinstalling ESET. All was fine yesterday and today until an hour ago. Firefox would not work, nor would Internet explorer. To diagnose the problem, I turned off the ESET antivirus and fire wall, but the problem persisted. I rebooted, but only got to the user names and Windows would not go any further, The names just disappeared. I am at a loss what to do, so rather than go any further, I am asking for expert help for the next steps. P.S. my other laptop computer with Vista works fine. It is now around 1pm and I should be available for a few hours, or will look for any responses tomorrow or later if need be. Thanks in advance for your help. I do not believe there is malware involved as I am always using antivirus and malwarebytes and don't go to dangerous places on the internet.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello ShowMe

This could be software or hardware related I`m afraid, some questions if I may ask;
Is there data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up before we proceed.
Has the HDD been making any unusual noises or been slow to access the data on it.
What is the storage capacity of the HDD and how much free storage space is/was available on it.
Do you have a Windows installation DVD in case it is required to do a Repair Installation etc.
If you have a Windows DVD what type of disk is it as in a full retail disk, a downloaded ISO, a back up that you made yourself or a burned copy.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build provide as much detail as you can such as the brand of the HDD etc, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
tHANK YOU PHILLPOWER2 FOR GETTING TO ME SO FAST. Earlier after checking for a response to this post (at that time there were none) I did some research on the ESET forum and got a hint to the problem and went to Malwarebytes forum where I saw some items about a conflict between MBAM and ESET. So I found out how to set MBAM to Auto-delayed startup, booted in Safe Mode and VOILA! It works now, so I think this has been resolved. I am a bit peeved at ESET for not knowing of this conflict with their product, and I will let them know about it. You are very kind for responding to my call for help.
cheers!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Good work on your behalf ShowMe and thank you for sharing the solution so that it may help others :thumbsup:

You are most welcome BTW and once again thank you for posting the solution for the benefit of others :)

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
GLAD TO BE OF SERVICE!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:thumbsup: