Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont handle more than 1GB Ram

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Hubbs

Hubbs

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello there, as the title says the computer wont handle more than 1 GB. I installed Windows XP Professional and when i was gonna upgrade to 3,5GB Ram it would not boot in to windows. I tryed 3GB,2GB it only works with 1GB. I reseted the BIOS, i updated my BIOS, i tryed to repair my windows but it wont even allow me to repair it says "Error" but when i switch back to 1GB Ram everything is perfect.

PC Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Dual Core
ABIT-KN8 Motherboard - Socket 939
Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256 MB Graphic
320GB Harddisk
620W Powersupply
1 GB Ram (3,5 Originally)

Advertisements

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Update: Can now use 2GB I can use a ram on the first slot and the 3rd slot. I tryed the seccond and 4th slot then my pc wont boot in to windows

Edited by Hubbs, 04 December 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You would have to look at the manual for the motherboard, but often you need to match the memory in the slots. It sounds like your motherboard pairs slots 1&3 and 2&4. If you have two more memory sticks that are identical, you might try putting them in slots 2&4. It is also possible that there is a problem with slots 2&4.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello there Kemasa and thank you for replying.

I did exactly what u said, i moved the Slot 1 ram to 2 and the slot 3 ram to 4. As soon as i turned on the PC after 1 or 2 secconds it started scream "beeeep" then after 1 or 3 secconds again "beeep" and over and over untill i pressed the power button and shut down the pc.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I guess it means that slot 1 and 3 need to be occupied before using slot 2 and 4. In other word you can add memory to slot 2 and 4 after slot 1 and 3 is filled.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Seems the RAM slots are faulty.

If you have not update the Bios to the latest version, please do so.

Maybe we can try use a cotton stick to get some medical use alcohol then clen the RAM slot pins.
Please make sure powering OFF the computer before this process.
Also wait for the aocohol to dry out before installing the RAM and power on the computer again.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

Update: Can now use 2GB I can use a ram on the first slot and the 3rd slot. I tryed the seccond and 4th slot then my pc wont boot in to windows

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It wont allow me to update my BIOS some how. I found the latest version and i downloaded it and i clicked on the "Runme.bat" i click Install BIOS and nothing helps, i did it in safe mode also and still the same. My Motherboard is ABIT-KN8

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Hubbs

I am finding an Ultra and an Sli version of the KN8 MB is yours one of these and if so which one is it please.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey there Phill!

Mine is only ABIT-KN8. Not Ultra or Sli.

I also cleaned the Rams and the ram pins on the motherboard this time it didnt do any "beep" sound but it would not boot in to windows or not even the windows loading logo.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Hubbs

Having checked I can tell you that the memory configuration for each MB is the same, for two sticks it should be slots one and two + the user manual states that if you are having memory configuration problems you should clear the CMOS, please refer to the user manual here which is provided courtesy of Scribd.

Advertisements

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I reseted the cmos and still nothing. This is getting annoying [bleep] cursed son of a. . . pc, i wanna destroy it with a sledge hammer :D

It will only work with 2 sticks on Slot 1 and 3. Slot 2 and 4 doesnt work.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hmm... I remember something. I have an AMD X2 3800+ on an MSI K8 motherboard in the closet. IIRC it'll only take two gigs of memory but I have 3 gigs in it and it worked but only see 2 gigs. Again IIRC it only have two slots.

Ah, it's a K9 board instead.

Edited by Brazened, 05 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My board handled 3,5GB before, i was with Windows Vista ultimate before but it was slowing my gaming down so i changed back to Windows XP Professional and i got this issue now. But if i remember right XP Professional could only have 4GB Max ram so i dont see the problem

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That's because the OS is 32 bit right?

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yep 32Bit.