Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

inbuilt ? embedded? battery

• Please log in to reply

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have a new Acer Aspire V5-473G

Its the first time ever that I owned something where the battery is nowwhere to be seen

I gather like a macbook its inside ?

How on earth am I going to be able tp prolong the battery's life by removing it at home ? I am used to removing it on my old compaq and running it on adaptor power

when I hover over the battery icon I see 100% available (plugged in, charging )

I charged it for 8 hrs the first time .. this is the 2nd time I charging it and Im not sure when to stop

regards

mei
( +8gmt ) - I work the night shift and sleep during the day so I will check in later . Cheers any advice is much appreciated for this non tech

Edited by henny-penny-1, 04 December 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
With some of the newer styles like this, that won't be an option unfortunately.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
oh darn .. does it mean once the battery dies I lose my laptop ?

now it says 100% ( plugged in/ charging ) am I done charging it ? or shoould I just leave the power main plugged in

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I would unplug it once it's 100%, the batteries can be replaced but they are a pain to do so, and currently rather expensive.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
thank you .. Im off to bed now .. its near 1020am .

I am wondering how long this battery will last

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Hello folks

Just adding my two cents worth ;)

With the notebook powered off/disconnected from the mains power and the lid closed, lay the notebook face down, look closely and you should see a battery release slide, you will need to use a paper clip or a biro nib to move it and release the battery, when you reinsert the battery the clip should lock automatically.

Incidentally to prolong the battery life you should drain it completely every once in a while, it is best to do this if you are going to use the notebook connected to the mains power for long periods of time, this is sometimes called exercising the battery and below are the steps;
Make sure that the battery is 100% charged.
Disconnect the AC adapter.
Use the battery until it runs out completely.
Connect the AC adapter and charge the battery up to 100%.
Shutdown, disconnect the AC adapter, remove the battery and store it somewhere safe.
Use only the AC adapter to power the notebook when you are near a wall socket.
Repeat the process every 4-6 weeks if you are not using the battery at all.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I just took a look below . its all enclosed . the only way in is to unscrew the whole base like that macbook I saw at the nushoop

I guess that leaves me one option to use it until its almost flat then to plug in . I can do that :)

This new one is currently my stand by laptop . My 5.5 year old vista is still running ok and that will be my main laptop . I couldnt have done it without you guys and another forum which has since closed down

I guess once I return to work I may log on ever few days from that new one, to update scans and all .. I will also likely use it while my other laptop is undergoing its mid month and months end scans and maintenance . Lets see.

Its a pity . Id have liked to have had a detachable battery but Dh got the laptop when I wasnt with him so its abit too late now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
That is a real pain in the proverbial :(

Integrated batteries may be fine for some people but why don`t manufacturers provide readily available information and clearly mark the packaging with such information so that people can make a more informed decision before they make a purchase.

As an asides I see that the Acer website is still hopeless for downloading any newer model user manuals :angry:

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

That is a real pain in the proverbial :(

Integrated batteries may be fine for some people but why don`t manufacturers provide readily available information and clearly mark the packaging with such information so that people can make a more informed decision before they make a purchase.

As an asides I see that the Acer website is still hopeless for downloading any newer model user manuals :angry:

Tell me about it .. well Im stuck with it now .. I dont even know how long this battery will last . Id have said thanks but no had I been there but dh bought it when I was at work . Cant complain though . Much as vista is ____! I think I like my ageing 5.5 year old better . At least It runs without the battery which is ancient

I guess I will tackle it when it happens

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
:thumbsup:

Exercise the battery as described in my reply #6 and you should get a better life expectancy from the battery.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Exercise the battery as described in my reply #6 and you should get a better life expectancy from the battery.

how long do you figure this battery will last

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

how long do you figure this battery will last

Sorry but I cannot give a definitive answer to your question as the model of notebook is relatively new and so there is no proven track record.

Some information that I found;

battery life is a concern. Unfortunately, the Acer Aspire V5 fares much, much worse than the competition here. Overall, this is a good looking, well designed machine for an affordable price. Battery life is its main shortcoming,

Full article here

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
thanks for the link . I got home from work at 3am as usual and Im really brain dead right now

I will reaD it another day .

Its not an issue .. Im sure when the time comes a solution will show itself .. Im thinking anytime from one to 3 years but its hard to say .. as my main laptop is my aging vista

Edited by henny-penny-1, 07 December 2013 - 06:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
You are welcome henny-penny-1 :)