Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

It's a PUP, CONDUIT, Search & Protect issue on top of ICEMAGGE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
I) When the error pops up while uninstalling Best Buy PC App please click Yes.

3) I have had what I now realize may be a part of a previous virus issue maybe? The Java update alert flashes probably every time I am on my laptop. I usually ignore it but it only now crosses my mind that this is unusual. I have taken a screen shot and attached the file (Java update alert)

That's no fake. It's real - we will update Java at the end of the removal process :P

Chrome Reset

We have to reset Chrome. How to do this please look here.

Avast Removal Tool

Please follow the instructions here. If you don't know how to start in SafeMode, please follow the instructions here.

Question

Still problems?

Advertisements

anon0mouse

anon0mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Machiavelli,Thank you again.

Successful removal of the AVAST path and all associated with it.
Successful Chrome reset.
Conduit/Connect search tab is gone.
Java alert to update is reminding me again to do so.
Computer is almost 'speedy' :)...so much faster than it's been in ages.
But, the chirping sound and alien echo still persists unless I mute or turn down volume on the microphone?

Cheryl

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts

But, the chirping sound and alien echo still persists unless I mute or turn down volume on the microphone?

It could be feedback from the Microphone. Try moving the microphone to a different position and report back.

anon0mouse

anon0mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you Machiavelli,

Just so I can clarify about this odd noise - I do know that it is not a feedback microphone issue. But I do know it started at the same time when all the malware issues occurred.
For example, when I restart my computer, and it is booting up, the Toshiba screen shows, then my desktop starts loading and (without any media, music or audio files being played), this eerie, chirping, howling sound starts eminating from my speakers. It is only when I mute or pull down the volume bar on the microphone in the mixer that I am able to silence this. Otherwise it is always there.

I don't know if you can open the zip file that I attached, but it is an audio clip. I believe you have never heard anything like it because I certainly have not.
Please let me know if you are able to hear the file or not. I think it is the only way for me to clarify that this noise is very unusual.Attached File  120613 alien speakers.zip   174.03KB   37 downloads

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
I'm able to hear it. So you have a microphone and a pair of speakers? I'm pretty sure that this isn't Malware reated, but please try moving the microphone to another place. If this doesn't work tell me the model etc. of the microphone. Also, is there a telephone near the microphone? If yes move it for now to another place. Report back if this work.

anon0mouse

anon0mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's the built in microphone. I use no external mic or speakers....No telephone, I don't own a land line. Cell phone is in the other room..

Conexant CX20671 Smart Audio HD

I was wondering if I should try to update sound drivers as the last update down on them shows it to be 2010. When I go to the Toshiba site and enter my model number Toshiba C655-S5225 it shows 2 more driver updates since that time. Also when I have googled this issue as related to my Toshiba model, I do see instances of something similar on the internet.

Edited by anon0mouse, 08 December 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
OK then try an update :)

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
Also, are you able to turn the Microphone off on your Laptop? Turn off => No feedback , Turn on => Feedback.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
Are you still with me?

anon0mouse

anon0mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Machiavelli, sorry been a busy week so far.

I uploaded what I thought were the correct sound drivers but I mistakenly uploaded the sound driver for I think a different OS than my Windows 7.
Needless to say, I'm glad I set a restore point, and had to uninstall, laptop did a scan disk and repair and I brought it back to the restore point.
Not an expert like you....

I will try this weekend when I have more time to locate the correct Toshiba sound driver update and download. that should do the trick.

Thank you for all your expertise, the laptop issues with the virus have all been fixed.

Appreciate your help.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,700 posts
OK

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.