Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install Hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had a major virus, infected sys32 files. A friend cleaned the virus out of the HDD, but things still did not run well. I decided to do a clean and re-install. I saved my data and program files (except Windows) on an external HDD, then I ran fdisk to clean the hard drive. When I try to run Windows XP installer, a message comes up that it doesn't find a hard drive connected to the system. I have an ASUS AV8 Deluxe MB and a Seagate SATA HDD. The HDD is connected to the MB through an SATA cable. I hit F6 when the Windows install starts, to get to the SCSI driver install, then install the ASUS Promise 378 floppy. When Windows continues, it still does not find the HDD.

I am not sure the BIOS is set correctly. Should the on-board Promise controller be enabled? Should the on-board LANboot be enabled? When the BIOS boots, it searces through the Promise controller and finds no BIOS installed. Do I need to load drivers for the HDD itself? Prior to starting the Windows install?

Is it time to buy the T-shirt that says I am not smart enough to own a computer? :tazz:

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok slow it down buddy,
do you even get into the installer or do you get the error messga your bios should be set to boot from floppy first then CD then hd

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
also try and post a topic in the HD forum :tazz:

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Bob,

I appreciate the help.

I can get to the BIOS. I can manipulate the boot sequence
The Installer does load
I am thinking it is related to the HD connection and software
I did not see a HD (hard drive?) forum, but did see the hardware forum. Do you recommend I copy this post, or a similar one into the Hardware forum?

Thanks again :tazz:

domer

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
why cant you get into the bios?
also sorry for the confusion. i would recomend you post this in the hardware forum too :tazz:

Edited by bobthemailman, 09 June 2005 - 06:05 AM.

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Actually this is a common problem with SATA MB's and HDD's

I have an ASUS AV8 Deluxe MB and a Seagate SATA HDD.  The HDD is connected to the MB through an SATA cable.  I hit F6 when the Windows install starts, to get to the SCSI driver install, then install the ASUS Promise 378 floppy.  When Windows continues, it still does not find the HDD.

I am not sure the BIOS is set correctly.  Should the on-board Promise controller be enabled?  Should the on-board LANboot be enabled?  When the BIOS boots, it searces through the Promise controller and finds no BIOS installed.  Do I need to load drivers for the HDD itself?  Prior to starting the Windows install?

View Post

1. When you say that you actually get the driver loaded for the SATA HDD drive, does that mean that you get to actually choose the drive from where to load the driver and get the name of the driver displyed on the screen?

2. Is the MB you use set for Raid when using the SATA drives?

3. If the MB is a raid MB (as far as i can see there are 2 different types of this MB), did you configure both the disks and the BIOS to run in the same settings?

I have seen this type of problem quite a few times by now and most times it has been a problem with the configuration of the drives prior to the install of windows.

Gandir

Edited by Gandir, 09 June 2005 - 06:35 AM.

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the replies. I reset my BIOS to default settings and Windows loaded. I did have to load the factory supplied drives so it would recognize the drive. Even though I am not using deal drives in a RAID configuration, a SATA drive connection requires it to be in RAID mode. :tazz: