Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multimedia USB Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply

Thisguy90

Thisguy90

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, so this issue has been driving me insane and none of the common solutions have gotten me any closer to fixing it.

Whenever I try to use a keyboard with multimedia hotkeys (Volume up, mute, play, etc), it will usually work fine for a while, before stopping completely. Windows will usually, but not always, start listing the keyboard as an unknown USB device. Restarting the computer does nothing to fix it. Disabling and reinabling the USB drivers in device manager doesnt work, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling them. This problem also persist regardless of which USB port I plug the keyboard into. This keyboard works fine on all other computers in the house, and does not have this issue.

When I use a normal usb keyboard that doesnt have the extra hotkeys, it works fine. Also, if I leave the desktop off for an extended period of time (an hour or so is the shortest so far) the other keyboard will start working again, only for the problem to repeat itself eventually.

My desktop is a custom build with a ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard. The BIOS is the most up to date version. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit OS, which is also currently up to date.

If anymore info is needed please let me know and I will post it asap

Edited by Thisguy90, 08 December 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi Thisguy90,

Is there anything Here that may help, or perhaps provide a different approach to the issue.

Thanks
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 08 December 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Thisguy90

Thisguy90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried the solutions on that page, but the problem still persist.

Edit: Something I forgot to mention in the original post was that sometimes when the multimedia keyboard is working, keys will sometimes be delayed, and then repeat themselves.

For example, if I were to type in the word "this", it will sometimes mess up and type out as "thiiiiiiiiiiii". This does not seem to happen with any key in particular, and comes at random intervals.

Edited by Thisguy90, 10 December 2013 - 12:22 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
I'm stumped at the moment, but still thinking.

Joe

Thisguy90

Thisguy90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have posted this problems to other forums, and I may have found a solution.

Someone recommended I run a program called AdwCleaner, and after doing so, the keyboard regained the ability to run bios from start up, has remained stable for the entire day, and there is now a pop up in the cornor of the screen when I use the volume control functions that was never there before.

Although I don't want to say for sure that the problem is solved, it is seeming more likely that it is, and I'm posting this here incase someone else should have a similar problem in the future. This is not the longest I've gone without the keyboard stopping, but it is the most stable it has been in a long time.

I have attached an image of the volume control bar.

Do you think it's possible that a registry error was causing my problems?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by Thisguy90, 10 December 2013 - 04:56 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
adwcleaner, odd.

I use it all the time in the Malware removal forum for browser hijackers specifically, At this point I don't see a relationship between running adwcleaner and your issue. Then again stranger things have happened.

A registry error could cause just about any issue.

I hope you have it fixed, let us know.

Thanks

Thisguy90

Thisguy90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, so looking over the logs from adwcleaner, it appears that my machine had malware that my antivirus and malwarebytes wasnt detecting. When it removed it, it fixed the issue that I was having with the keyboard.

I'm working with the guys at the forum who suggested using it to make sure there is no other infection hidden on my machine elsewhere, but for the most part everything seems to be fine now. Thank you for your time and I hope this info can help someone in the future who has a similar problem.

Edit: It has stopped again.

Edited by Thisguy90, 10 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
That's fine. If AWCleaner is finding adware, then it's possible there is more. I'd consider getting a check up while your here, or when you have time.

Read the instructions Here. Scroll down to step 2 for OTL. OTL generates 2 logs post them both in a reply in the Malware forum.

Only work with one forum at a time on a Malware issue.

Thanks

Edited by zep516, 10 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.

Thisguy90

Thisguy90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So, it turns out the malware was not causing the issue, nor were any registry errors. In fact, it was so deceptively simple that I don't know why I didn't notice it beforehand.

My girlfriend generally plugs her laptops charger into the same surge protector that my PC is connected to. We've been doing this for years so it never occurred to me that this was the cause of my problem. However, I started noticing that it just so happens that my keyboard freaks out whenever she plugs her laptop in.

After testing this theory using various desktop computers alongside other laptops and laptop chargers plugged into different surge protectors and in different parts of the house, I've discovered that her laptop's charger is faulty, and is causing the error. No matter how many variables I changed, whenever her charger was plugged into a laptop, the keyboard stopped functioning, regardless of what PC it was connected to at the time.

I'll keep this forum up to date in case anymore revelations come to light about this whole thing, but I feel secure in saying this was the cause, as its easily replicated under a variety of situations, and the cause and fix are consistent, which has not been the case in any of my other "leads" previously.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Nice detective work, sounds like you figured it out.

Electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation or EMR) is one of the fundamental phenomena of electromagnetism, behaving as waves propagating through space, and also as photon particles traveling through space, carrying radiant energy. In a vacuum, it propagates at a characteristic speed, the speed of light, normally in straight lines. EMR is emitted and absorbed by charged particles. As an electromagnetic wave, it has both electric and magnetic field components, which oscillate in a fixed relationship to one another, perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of energy and wave propagation.

Something like that :)

Thanks for getting back, the thread has been most informational.

Joe