Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall question on a laptop using wifi connectionn

• Please log in to reply

Kenpache

Kenpache

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I never had a laptop before, only desktops.

I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop with a wifi connection. My laptop came with a 60 day trial of McAfee Internet Security. I have noticed that in Services.msc, Windows Firewall
is turned ON, as well as McAfee's Firewall. Now if I Disable the Windows Firewall, then reboot, McAfee's Firewall is then turned OFF with no way of turning it back on, unless I turn Windows Firewall back on via Services.msc.

I thought having 2 Firewalls on a pc is asking for trouble, or is this normal having 2 Firewall's on a laptop with a wifi connection??

Can someone please explain why the need for 2 Firewall's please?

Thanks!

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I believe even though you see it running in services it is off,not being used.True having two firewalls can cause conflict.

This can be checked in control panel under action center go to security tab drop it down,should say view installed apps ,,if you click the blue link it should say windows firewall is off in another window. Also in this area does it say instead ,having two firewalls can cause conflicts?

Even in the control panel for clicking on windows firewall should tell you it is not working and the options to turn it on will not work.

I am using Norton 360 it never completely disabled the firewall in services but did disable windows defender.

The part i am not sure of is when you turned it off there, your McAfee's firewall goes off also.

If nobody else can help after me i would also try McAfee support sites,forums for an answer.

Edited by jds63, 09 December 2013 - 10:18 PM.

Kenpache

Kenpache

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply, jds63, Window Firewall is tuned OFF in Control Panel
I will ask this question in the McAfee Forum also, Thank!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
YW,that would be a good place also to ask about it,see if anyone else has same problem,i looked online saw the forum.

Good luck,need any more answers feel free to come here also,very good help here.