Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my harddrive on its last leg?

• Please log in to reply

babablack

babablack

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop computer purchased around 2007ish I believe. As it gets older it gets slower, but these days I am noticing that Outlook 2003 will every now and then get "stuck" and not send or receive email. I've corrected this by running scandisk (I have windows xp). Scan disk has fixed the problem but it takes 8 hours! Outlook has failed twice and and I've had to run scandisk twice within a 3 month period. Additionally, when starting my computer, it will display a message a few seconds after starting to the tune of "read disk error occured, press ctrl alt del to reboot" luckily, my computer ends up starting, but I can't help but think that my hard disk is on its last leg? Additionally, my USB ports stopped working and I had to reinstall drivers for all including my mouse!What do you guys think?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi babablack,

It sounds like the drive could fail anytime. I'd save all my pictures and any files you have created to a flash drive or external drive Immediately. Running additional scans on the drive before doing that could prove to be to much an cause complete failure where it will not boot at all.

Thanks
Joe :)

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Seems that your drive is 6 years old at least. That would be time to look for another one.