Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important and Urgent Questions regarding Build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry, for the delay only just got around to you Topic.
I think the GPU should be OK as it was working before the driver update. This often causes problems as sometimes the uninstall of the old driver is not clean, then the new driver becomes corrupted.
When you updated Norton, did you pay any money?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Another two cents worth from me if I may :)

To reduce the risk of the OS becoming corrupt in the future put it on it`s own 100GB partition, this will allow for the many updates in the coming years to be installed including the move to Windows 8.1 or it`s successor when support from MS for Windows 7 ends, use Partition Master (free) for this, available from here

Most likely what iammykyl is thinking about Norton, if it is the free version get rid of it as it is a hog on system resources and can cause various problems with downloads etc, use the correct removal tool to uninstall it, see here install Avast or MSE which are both free, light on system resources yet offer very good AV protection.

Once you have a fully updated OS and your other important software create a back up image of the HDD using Macrium Reflect which is also free and available from here

The GPU issue iammykyl is addressing so I will keep my nose out :whistling:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted ImageGday Phillpower2.
Good bit of advice and mind reading there.

ArionIV

Before doing any alteration/addition, Please reply first and let us know if you wish to remove Norton,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Posted ImageGday Phillpower2.
Good bit of advice and mind reading there.

ArionIV

Before doing any alteration/addition, Please reply first and let us know if you wish to remove Norton,

:cheers:

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

It is the 60-day trial version. I'll take it off as you say. Ok but give me a second confirmation please.

I have always been clueless about "making partitions" @Phillpower2 so have gotten it done and oh yes I have experienced C;/ saying its crammed for space so I had 100GB to it last time too. Thanks for the advice once again though. I have updates on automatic but yet to get any. [bleep] it's worse han XP now, they said automatic then and I never had to go to MS website to get them. Ok I'll go look and take on MSE.

Ok now problem is v314.2 is here on this system and I have v332.21 on my key here. Should I uninstall the former and try with the latter?

One more problem - There's this 6 GB iso of Matlab that I'm unable to transfer. My key supports 32 GB USB2.0 and yet with 28 GB left it says file size too large so won't take it. What should I do about it? Of cours this is perhaps a little less major.

Why bleep.. i had just typed D A M N.

Edited by ArionIV, 11 January 2014 - 04:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Do a manual search for any MS updates, Control Panel > System and Security > Check for Updates, install all important updates and review any optional ones that may be suggested.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Well apart from the GPU and USB key trouble there're two more:

1. Win7 isn't checking for updates. Asks me to restart but to no avail.
2. The JBL platinum Series speakers don't work. I mean they power on but no audio yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hello ArionIV

1. Win7 isn't checking for updates. Asks me to restart but to no avail.

Can you please explain what you mean, see below;
If Windows is not downloading and attempting to install updates why are you being asked to restart the computer, this prompt is normally given when Windows downloads have completed and are waiting for you to manually authorize their installation.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Thanks for phill for keeping watch. Here's what I mean exactly:

this is a link to somebody having the same problem: http://answers.micro...1d-820265bc28cb

I don't have MS office yet, can't manage a Prtscrn image bu here's this video too:

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Found the solution here:

http://answers.micro...b2-538bc783cdad

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Gong to go back to our numbered question and answer method. Applying fixes you find can work, but often there may be 5 differenced fixes and we have no idea of which you used, so please only make alterations and additions to the OS we ask for.

Please disconnect the speakers, will look at them later as well as the Metlab problem.

1. You say you found a solution, (post #145) what was the solution for? and did the fix work.
2. When you go to Windows Update, does it work?
3. Is Automatic Update working? You may get a yellow shield in the notification bar, or, when you try to shut down, you are notified windows is installing updates.
4. Did you use the too to remove Norton?
5. Have you installed MSE or Avast? and is it working?
6. in which slot is the GPU installed?
7. Have you sorted out the video driver issue? is it working OK.
8. Have you created recovery media?

Please follow instruction and when Disk Management opens, take a screenshot and add to you reply.
Click Start, > Click RUN, > copy and paste into the box, diskmgmt.msc > Press Enter.

Why bleep.. i had just typed D A M N.

Because it is a family site, most swearing is not allowed but, being US based, there are some strange anomalies, you can say crap, but not s***.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

1. My problem was that the Check for Updates button was RED and on clicking for a check i said Restart in a dialog box, you clicked ok and that was it. Now the link I have provided is the solution to such a problem. This fix worked for me and as per the site for most others too. This is the main problem which is perhaps even interfering with Nvidia Driver installation as I discovered on screen and through the background description given in the fix that it prevents installation Microsoft.NET framework i needed ver4.0 And oila when I checked on manual install of Microsoft.NET framework it was again prevented.

The fix works bu given that on a fresh installation like mine of Win7 Home Prem. it will still sow a few failures perhaps given the sheer volume of updates. After 3 rounds I have all 150+ updates done. Including my montior drivers which too had failed earlier.Also this problem prevents automatic updation of MSE Virus and Spyware(?) definitions. Now I've them all.

2. Yes. Windows Update works fine now.
3. Automatic Update is working. Its Green now for Up to Date of course.
4. Yup Norton has been removed. Boy its always been trouble then how come it gets that PCMag award? Or maybe a previous award?! Must mention it takes a good(irritating) amount of time to uninstall.
5. MSE installed. All definitions up to date. Running smoothly.
6. GPU well it was in PCIE16_1 at the time of first driver failure.Now I have moved it to PCIE16_2. Sorry but it just doesn't fit in PCIE16_3. The bulky twin fan is preventing it. Perhaps now I see why I should have preferred EVGA/ASUS. Their twin fans are sleeker.

As for now its out for the second time. I'm about to reinstall it in its slot and then try applying the driver through Windows Update or else manually I hope GPUs can get drivers out of Win Update. Oh and I must mention when installed it locks Display resolution down to 800x600 while from On-board graphics I get 1920x1280. Of course driver installation is yet to happen for me to call it trouble(perhaps?).

7. About to try sorting the GPU issue.
8. No never had recovery media and I had completely forgotten about it. i have partitioned the HDD using EaseUs at the moment as suggested by Phillpower2.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay once again.

Ok, now Good News: GPU's working with the latest driver.
Funny News: It took the VGA cable, it seems the DVI-D cable was another problem.

Right now running at max resolution. Everything's zippy. Now about to get down to checking after the speakers, why the heck they aren't working?

Ok Just checked.. the speakers still don't work.

All right speakers done too.

Edited by ArionIV, 12 January 2014 - 03:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for answering all the questions.Congratulations on getting it going, Posted Image
You have still to supply a screenshot of Disk Manager.
It would now be best if you did not add too or make alterations to the system.
Before doing anything else. Do this now, If something goes wrong you will be able to go back to the system as it is at the present. Then we will look at creating a drive image you would not have to do a complete reinstal and then apply all the fixes you have just done.
Create a manual restore point. > http://www.informati.../d/d-id/1098460

Do you have an external HDD you can store a drive image?
This is the How To, > http://www.howtogeek...e-in-windows-7/
How to create a recovery disc > http://www.howtogeek...c-in-windows-7/

Please give the model of your speakers.
Do you have an account with Metlab?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

1. Sorry but perhaps I'm missing it, what sort of a screenshot of Diskmanager?

2. Created the Restore point as "Installation Of Nvidia Graphics Driver" and it does display the time of the morning when I got it done. Should I get it up o "installation of Win7 SP1"? or would it be oo axing on the system?

3. No I'll buy an external HDD. Never had the need until now. Perhaps i will have to wait a month or two as my examination and university fees have come up.It's not the right time to look for one.

4. I'll try and make the Recovery Disk by t'morrow and tell you of course. But has i got to be a blank DVD?

5. the speakers are JBL Platinum series..They're working superbly now.

6. Yes I do have an account with Matlab.