Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important and Urgent Questions regarding Build

• Please log in to reply

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok so the 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 on the Phantom 410 got to be connected to the MoBo. All right. And one Internal I/O header gives support to 2 ports of course respective USB technologies.

Now any more USB ports that are not on the case, you have to use those USB brackets that are sold and sort of fix them under the optical drive as I have seen in some places, right? :unsure:

Advertisements

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

Ok first here are the components of he build:

PSU : Cooler Master 550W Silent Pro Gold (haswell-certified and ErP - confirmed latter with a CM rep. I met at Tom's Hardware forums)

CPU: i5-4570

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R - 2 x 4 GB DDR3

MoBo: ASUS Z87-A

GPU: GT640 2 GB DDR3

Only waiting for my monitor to be delivered, so I should get done with the build before this weekend, really need the answers to my doubts please.

Ok now the questions really are pertaining to only these parts so I would like to skip the rest:

1. The CPU's socket side and the pins in the socket how exactly do they connect?
Now, I'm asking this because I would like to have a good idea of what goes inside when you try and close the CPU in the socket. Don' worry I got to how you gotta place it, etc. just this bit shall help m stay calm during the process.

2.The RAM I mentioned above is mentioned in the Qualified Vendor's List(QVL) for the MoBo but as a 4x4GB module. i guess nothing to be worried about 2 sticks or 4 sticks the MoBo's going to recognize both?

3. The TPU switch. The TPU_1 mode is for activating the Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 if I read correctly that is. Now should I move the TPU switch to that position or us it only if I need to and not keep it perpetually there?

4. Also, there seems to be no slot for a motherboard speaker on the MoBo I was suggested to add one so where exactly does it go? I got the fan connectors, etc. alright just this.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

The CPU's socket side and the pins in the socket how exactly do they connect?

The connect the same as the pins on a power plug when you put it into a wall socket exectp there are rows of pins . This video explains how the CPU works, > http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cNN_tTXABUA

The RAM I mentioned above is mentioned in the Qualified Vendor's List(QVL) for the MoBo but as a 4x4GB module. i guess nothing to be worried about 2 sticks or 4 sticks the MoBo's going to recognize both?

Yes.

Now should I move the TPU switch to that position or us it only if I need to and not keep it perpetually there?

This is up to you. If
on, the MB will find a stable overclock for your CPU, (every one is slightly different) this is mild Auto overclocking, (do not change the EPU switch.) You should not make any other alterations to the CPU setting in the BIOS otherwise things will become unstable. If off, you can make manual selections, it will take some time to learn about overclocking for your MB, so best to join some forums. Here is an article about the Asus EFI BIOS, > http://dragonsgaming...os-ai-suite-ii/

Also, there seems to be no slot for a motherboard speaker on the MoBo

It goes on 2 pins which are found on the Front Panel Header. Please look in your MB Manual, Let us know you have found the information, NB, the positive + and negative - have to be the correct way round.
> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87A/

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

Thanks for your answers once again. The monitor will be delivered today - Thursday and so I'll get on with completing my build.

I checked the Corsair website and they list my 8GB pack as compatible and I have your word too :happy: :happy: .

Ok, so unless I see I'm getting into tough things and the CPU needs to run on Turbo, I don't do it. so I'll leave it at off position.

I got to the front panel header area, I see a yellow plastic area with pins jutting out and speaker written in very tiny words, then there's the LED pins to its farther side, so these are the ones? Sorry, coz MB manual doesn't mention them, I am making a guess here. But then I did check these pins look the same as in a few pictures i googled.

But maybe we shouldn't worry too much, I'm getting a person to help me with such things. Actually I need him more for transferring my data from the old sys. to the new.

Now there's just one new issue:

I guess I should have tried it myself but then I thought it better to ask.

I'll be using my old pair of JBL Platinum series speaker.
The problem:

Its been there for ages. The main one works well, just the other, that too cause the port on the main is loose so it needs to be held in place to make sure that i is at all working. what do I do to it? Connect it independently to one of the audio ports listed on the MB manual for speakers?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update.
Regarding the monitor, Please give the brand and model. Also the case brand and model.
Note. I have merged you original "Build Topic" with your latest, "Important Questions" as they both refer to the same build, it keeps everything together.

I see a yellow plastic area with pins jutting out and speaker written in very tiny words, then there's the LED pins to its farther side, so these are the ones? Sorry,

Yes. They are clearly shown on Page 39 of the user manual. You can plug directly into the pins on the MB or you can plug into the little supplied block, (Asus Q Connect) then plug the block onto the header on the MB.

But maybe we shouldn't worry too much, I'm getting a person to help me

Make sure the person takes Anti
Static measure, (same as you) if they are handling parts or working on the computer.

I'll be using my old pair of JBL Platinum series speaker.

Please do not connect the speakers until you have a completed up and running stable system. Reason, if there does happen to be a hitch, we don not want a
possibly faulty hardware component to be connected, just makes things more complicated.

Don't rush the build, take your time. Read you manuals before you start. Any problems, stop and then post.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

I'm done reading the manuals. Only a terrible thing's happened. The LG 24EA53VQ is unavailable at the moment. other retailers show it's available with them but I don;' trust them. Then again the model is hard to get.

I've had to look around once again. And most of the monitors available give 8 ms response time. I had zeroed in on Dell U2312HM - IPS and 8ms, but again hard to find here. Most places say sold out.

BenQ EW2430 - listed only on their Europe website. It's got quite a few ports - guess I don't need that many after all they can't fill up for 5 ms or less.

Now there's this confusing part.The Dell and BenQ models have 8 ms. Dell -IPS, BenQ - VA.
And most people going for the Dell Ulrasharp saying 8 ms isn't that noticeable. Is it so? 8 ms IPS better than 8 ms VA??

All most every other LG IPS available has either DVI or VGA port missing. I can't buy he 27 or 29 inch models of course. And Asus, why the [bleep] nobody's selling them in my country?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Build just hit a roadblock.I got a person to help me. Now together we got down to putting in all the components and the case was all set.

He tried testing if the board woks. Ok so he got in the power and all connections from the case except for the fans done. Also he didn't put in the MoBo speaker. Then he connected the PSU plug to the power source. Now only the green LED on the board showing that its on works.

He said the CPU fan should have worked and has suggested me to RMA it asap. Is he right? what could possibly be wrong?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello ArionIV

To help iammykyl on his return can you check out the following please;

Make sure that if standoffs were used they are in the correct orientation/there are no extra ones etc.

The CPU cooling fan is connected to the correct header on the MB and not the secondary optional one.

Are both the 24 pin main ATX connection and the 8 pin 12V ATX power connection for the CPU both connected securely.

Try one stick of Ram only - in slot A2 which is the second slot nearest to the CPU (try each stick if there is no change with the first stick).

Remove the add on video card and use one of the MBs integrated video ports.

If none of the above help;

Remove the PSU and do the most basic of tests to see if the PSU will at least activate, see the example video below for "how to"

Good luck.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hello phillpower2

Sorry but the video isn't visible at all. there's just blank space. Ok and I must admit the guy made he mistake of connecting it to the optional header instead of the CPU fan. I corrected that later.

The 24 pin and 8 pin are all connected securely. Only funny thing I noticed that the 8 pin has a part of wire coming backwards like another 8-pin( a 6+ 2) which seems to be supposed to connect in another 8-pin area.

trouble is that Cooler Master doesn't label the wires. IT only mentions pin types in the User Manual but then for a first timer like me I would prefer how NZXT labelled their case wires.

Also another thing he hadn't connected the Q-connector. And I must mention that the PSU
seems to be working upto the stage where the pwer LED on the MoBo lightf up but the case power switch won' work as of yet.

Am i making th situation any clearer to visualise or should I include some pics?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello ArionIV

That`s odd as the video is working fine this end :unsure:

Try a google search for Corsair Video FAQ: How to test a Corsair power supply

Alternative information here

Did you check the location of any standoffs that you may have used.

The additional 6+2 connection can be used for some high end video cards that require an 8 pin connection as opposed to a single 6 pin connection, some HD 5970 cards for example.

And I must mention that the PSU
seems to be working upto the stage where the pwer LED on the MoBo lightf up but the case power switch won' work as of yet.

This could still be a PSU issue, it could however that the case front connections to the MB header are not connected correctly, this like a misplaced standoff or a bared wire can cause a system short.

Please see and follow the suggested steps at the attachment below.

No pictures required thanks :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday all.
Thanks for coming in Phillpower2. My time difference leaves long delays before I can answer.
ArionIV
If the Product sheet showing cables was not included with you PSU, please download, it will make clearer which cable to use. > http://www.coolermas...04008920c7.html
First power cable. You have the correct 24 pin cable to the MB
Second power cable, I think you have this wrong. On the product sheet, it is the second cable down, (show as 12v 4+4 pins. The image actually show as a 4 pin but there are two of them at the end of the cable, they slide and clip together to make an 8 pin plug. This is connected at the top MB 8 pin socket. It will only fit correctly one way around MB manual page #32. Do not use the third cable down on the product sheet, that is for the video card which you will not be using as your GTX 640 takes it power from the PCI-E slot.
You did not answer Phillpower2's question about the stand-offs???? You MB only has six screw holes so there should only have been six stand-offs on the MB.

Check that your RAM is fully seated and the locking tabs at each end of the sticks are fully closed, use slots A2 and B2,
Your video card should be installed in the Yellow PCI-E x 3.0 slot.

As Phillpower2 instructed, disconnect the little 2 pin plugs to the case buttons and LEDs. Install the mini system speaker. see MB manual page #39, Match the + and - on the plug with the + and - pins.
Make sure that the outlet and input from the GPU to monitor match.

Switch on the PSU and press the Direct Key on the motherboard. MB manual Page #25. You can also use the button to shut down the computer but. remember to turn off the PSU before doing anything inside he computer.

The PUS and CPU fans should start and the system go through POST and information from the BIOS should appear on screen
If the system fails to Boot, note down any beep codes you hear and look at the indicator lights on the MB and report the status, see MB manual page #28.

Press the Direct Key to power off, turn off the PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

Off out for the day now so will leave you in peace :)

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi phill and iammykyl.

H has done the shorting part on those pin heads, but that didn't work. You still suggest I remove PSU and try as you have advised?

An yeah only the required no. of standoffs were used. The MoBo is secure through its respective 6 mounting holes into the standoffs.No exposed wires in there. And yes could the fact that he connected it to the CPU_OPT instead of the CPU_FAN have caused some damage to MoBo?

Oh and yes the video worked now.

Edited by ArionIV, 20 December 2013 - 07:46 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

could the fact that he connected it to the CPU_OPT instead of the CPU_FAN have caused some damage to MoBo?

No.

Did you check you had the right 8 pin power cable to the top of the MB?
What is showing on the monitor?
Did you hear any beeps?
Are there any lights showing on the MB?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok here are things I didn't notice at first:

1.The GT640 is connected to the PCIE_1.

2.Ok RAM is seated perfectly, standoffs checked,but yeah the guy was such a bullhead he wouldn't let me put on the MoBo speaker.

3. We never pressed the Direct Key = DRCT right?

I'll try the Direct key button part.

PS: I wish I had either of you somebody even close enough like you guys to help me personally on my build. Thanks once again though. :thumbsup: