Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important and Urgent Questions regarding Build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you conncect the SATA Signal cables and the SATA power cables to the optical drive and the HDD?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

Sorry about today. I just had to go out for some work. the fact that the system's working was such a relief that i could go out today. Yeah, connected those and the port to port connectors too.

Just I think I need to check whether they're connected at the highest speeds and once again should I move the GPU to PCIE_3 or its just fine?

I found the fan molex, ok, just one thing here's no mention of where the HD audio cable from case should go to? Basically, all done except this part.

The black block has USB written on it with individual pins being marked as +5v, Ground,...etc. I guess perhaps a helpful thing like the yellw block, safely jam in the USB 2.0 wire.

Edited by ArionIV, 22 December 2013 - 11:44 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Just I think I need to check whether they're connected at the highest speeds

Please explain more.

just one thing here's no mention of where the HD audio cable from case should go to?

There are two audio cables from the case ports but you can only connect and use one of them. if you try to use both, the operating system will get muddled up when you plug in your speakers or headphone.
The plug marked AC 97, from the case, connects into the socket AAFP. MB manual Page 3, item #17. hide away the HD cable.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The black block has USB written on it with individual pins being marked as +5v, Ground,...etc. I guess perhaps a helpful thing like the yellw block, safely jam in the USB 2.0 wire.

NO This is for the USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, plug into the USB 3.0 socket, MB manual page 3, item #6.

Please tell me where you connected the USB 2.0 plug from the front case ports.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Gday.

Ok I'll again answer in terms of a numbered list:

1. I don't have any cable marked as AC97 from the case, only HD Audio.So it goes on the lower set of pins?

2. Ok USB 2.o from Case has gone to USB1314 i.e. item #13 on MB manual.

3. By highest speeds part I meant:

Right now, HDD is connected to SAT6G_4 and Optical Drive to SATA6G_3, shouldn't I move them to SATA6G_6 and SATA6G_5 respectively. I perhaps remember them being higher speed ports. I may be wrong, pleas help me on this one too.

4. This has remained unanswered for the previous two posts or so:

Should I connect the GT640 to PCIE_3 or leave it at current config. of PCIE_1?

5. Ok the black block being for USB 3.0, I should then fit in the Blue ended cable from the case on to the block and then it gets placed on item #6?

But one queer hing though how will it fit? The block I'm talking about is a 5+4 = 9 pin and the USB 3.) has a 19 pin config.? Its the USB 20 that has 9-pin config. as I see from manual too.

This sums up everything for now at least.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, Good post.
1. On the manual, > http://www.nzxt.com/...m_410_multi.pdf shows an AC 97, (manual could be for more than one case) so,
Yes, HD goes on the lower pins.

2. Yes.

3. The SATA sockets are in pairs, can be useful when configuring disc arrays and identifying (in the BIOS or software) which HDD is connected to which socket. The numbers do not refer to the speed of the port. The Boot disk is best in the lowest number #1 and the optical drive in #5 or #6.

4. Yes, move the Graphics card to the Yellow PCI-E_3 slot.

5. If the USB 3.0 plug from the case, fits the USB socket on the MB,? connect directly. Do not use the black block. (it may be some sort of converter)

Have you managed to sort out the front panel connections? I don't use the green block. I think it was designed to make fitting the plugsaway from the MB, then just clipping it on, also be good for people with big hands/fingers.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

1. I think I need to check again where the AC97 is. Perhaps missing it like the fan molex.
Is there much of a difference in output quality regarding which one you connect?

2. The Q-connector came in handy for the same reason lol..large hands and scaled down tree-trunks like fingers. Actually I was starting to curse the price difference betwen a full tower and a mid-tower and hence having to settle for something cramped. But that just made the job easier.

3.USB 3.0 plug fits perfectly.

4.Ok I'll move the GPU. I'm forced to have a copied OS at the moment. But I think I'll make a bootable USB next. Then I won't have to go for copies.

5. What's your take on running 2 Operating Systems on a single HDD?
Since i find even 250 GB roomy. I thought I could give up half each out of 500GB to Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
1. The front header ports for sound are usually used for a headset so the difference between HD and AC-96 to me is indistinguishable.
2. Did you get the speaker on OK?
4. The use of copied software is illegal and the rules on G2G are very strict. all help will stop and the topic closed. Please read from the link below and download an ISO image, note the part about evaluation. When you install the the OS you will be asked to run a script to check the software is not pirated.
> http://www.geekstogo...rosoft-partner/
%. do not partition the drive, the system will take a performance hit. When you have your system up and running, We can give instructions to Duel Boot.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Sorry, another mistake from my side. I got the same downloads mentioned on a different site. I messed up mentioning copy instead of download.

i in fact read up their tutorial about making a bootable USB. Just dunno how well would it work wih 2 OS- Windows 7.0 and Ubuntu 13.10. Trouble is the build then must wait until after New Year coz I have hit my download limit here and at the slow speeds I'm compelled to move on until the start of next month mean that downloading Windows 7 anytime soon is about 24 hrs or so.

http://getintopc.com...-32-and-64-bit/

Ok so your opinion is I get just the one OS running and try Dual Boot later. Righto, perhaps best I learn how to do it myself. Only one thing I want to know now whether I can install Ubuntu first and then go for this ISO image of windows 7? Or is it better to get Windws first and then Ubuntu on the Dual Boot?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I do understand the temptation of getting Windows OS software for free because it does cost lot.
Please do take note. There are only two sites (for Retail customers) where you can download windows OS official software as an ISO image. You can install it and extend the evaluation period to 89 days. You will still need a legit key to activate or the software will stop working. ISO files from other sites is pirated. The software has nearly always been modified and you stand a good chance of installing spyware, the worst kind can steal all your personel info and you don't know it has happened.

Free distributions like Ubuntu have quite a steep learning curve. You will not be easily able to just install and use like you can with windows + you still have to download it.

Your school or university may have discounted software available to student or search on the Net for student software, (you have to meet conditions), or happen you can grab Santa to see if he has a OEM disc in has sack.Posted Image

Please answer all the questions so we know the build is ready for the installation of a OS..
Have you now connected all the cables?
Have you booted up using the case button?
Did you hear one beep?
Was there a message on the screen?
What LEDs are lit on the MB?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Just 15 minutes left until Christmas here. Of course 5 and a half hours earlier than the UK. Finished decorating the tree. :happy: :whistling: :happy:

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Thanks once again, I see there's a reasonable Student's Discount Price on Windows 8.1. Might as well go for the latest offering. Only the sales/customer support rep was trying to talk me into buying the Office 365 University version. i didn't like he sound of a 4 years' license, but then down the line MS Office offerings do change quite a bit, so perhaps 4 yrs is ok.

Now the answers to your questions:

1. Yes connected all cables.

2.Nope but I guess it will work, try it t'morrow afternoon, at least the big HDD LED works, so I feel pretty certain there shouldn't be a problem there.

3. Yes there's the one beep, now that I have learnt so much about building here I notice that my ancient system too gives the one beep. So there now it seems all normal.

4. The message I had mentioned I think :

First the Dell logo - you'd think its a mirage hardly lasts there
Second something written in Red and Grey - again too quick to read
Third the UEFI BIOS asking you to wait maybe put in disk and make appropriate changes to settings I think?
At least its all blue and neat looking says UEFi BIOS and shows the clock ticking upto the HH:mm:ss format. Sorry didn't take much notice of other things.

5. I had earlier mentioned this:
Power LED: Green
Boot Device LED : Red
That's all I noticed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I hope you and your family have had a pleasant Christmas. is it traditional English Christmas with you?, We did that the first year we came here but now have gone Aussie, cold turkey/ham, salads, with blazing sun and 35c, much too hot for the roast dinner.

support rep was trying to talk me into buying the Office 365 University version.

Have a look at Open Office Org before forking out for Office. > https://www.openoffice.org/
Everything OK until, Dell Logo shows (should not be there)
and Red LED for Boot device. (means a problem, only the green power status light should be on.

Are you using a HDD from another build?
or did you buy it as a new HDD?
What is the size of the HDD?

We may need to format the drive, please read his article, > http://pcsupport.abo...indows-disc.htm

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

I hope you and your family had a great Christmas too.Well, we're Hindus, and I live in India, so I don't have much of an idea about the different traditions. In our case, we decorated the tree, I made sure there was a star on top, then we baked a cake(without eggs - all of us in the family are vegan). Just we do believe in good faith and the Christ. Its always good to join the holiday atmosphere and honour every religion.

Now on to the questions:

1. There're a few crucial things about the MS Office that concern me and my work at the moment:

I need o get well versed with MS Access and Excel. I mean OpenOfice is a substitute with a difference right? Because last I had read about it in PCMag I had heard it was good as free but just how different is it from MS Office? And as per the employment news I have heard, most businesses still back MS Office.

Is it still okay to go in with OpenOffice? I mean yes I too get the point about pricing, as it is, only with the student discounts does the price for the OS seem normal to me. I wish Microsoft would ever heed he debate about integrating Office into the OS and not being too greedy. But 5 years since I first read about it, the situation's only spiraling away to he worse trend, BUY THEM ALL SEPARATELY.

2. No its a new HDD- I mentioned it as part of the Build - Seagate Barracuda 500GB. Just checked on EBay, its 3.5". Formatting will set it right?

We're out of luck until I buy the OS disk perhaps.And one more thing will Windows 8.1Pro format it ok? Because that's the one on Discount. Otherwise I only have my original XP Disk.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks, we did have a good Ghristmas. We have friends here who come from Cashmere and they have the English traditionalist turkey roast dinner.

We're out of luck until I buy the OS disk perhaps.And one more thing will Windows 8.1Pro format it ok? Because that's the one on Discount. Otherwise I only have my original XP Disk

Yes, the Windows 8.1 will format a HDD/SSD Disk.
Please give a link to where you purchased the HDD as looking through the topic there is no link mentioned. Ican give youa link later for a tool to foat the drive.

Before deciding about Ofice what the video > http://office.micros...en-us/web-apps/
Or your school or Uni may have subsrribed giving you Office free. > http://techcrunch.co...s-office-suite/