Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important and Urgent Questions regarding Build

• Please log in to reply

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Here's the link:

http://www.flipkart....HDD4KWHWQGNZSBM

for the HDD.

No , University of London subscribing to any software for its International studentsis out of the question. I'll check out the free Office in any case rather than have to pay that much so soon.

By the way, I hope there's noting else that could be the problem with the HDD? This is my first Seagate drive. I have had WD for the last decade, but I heard good stuff about it and hence the purchase.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Just an observation that is worth a mention here folks :)

From the reply #117 of ArionIV

First the Dell logo - you'd think its a mirage hardly lasts there

There are two occasions when you may possibly see a Dell logo;
1: On a computer that has a Dell based BIOS chip on the MB.
2: When a Dell OEM OS disk has been used to install the OS onto the HDD.

The MB is not a Dell OEM item which leaves a Dell installation disk being used to install the OS, is that correct.

To see if you can get further information about the boot up data, when you next power up the computer press the tab key to see if the BIOS details are displayed on screen.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Phillpower2 for taking a look and your take on the HDD. They were the only 2 things I could think of as well. Link to the e Seller guarantees all parts are both 100%
new and genuine.
Will wait for ArionIV's next post.
Will probable run DBAN.

I hope there's noting else that could be the problem with the HDD?

Can't say yet.
anybody can be unlucky with any brand of drive.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay, phillpower and iammymykyl.

The power button works fine. Ok, correction:

1st screen says ASUS dead center of the screen,
2nd is the Red Gray writing _________ Technologies or something it says.
3rd takes me to ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ mode...

Now thereafter I took a look at the UEFI BIOS inside out, going through every section I think. Was about to change RAM speed from default of 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz, but thought it better to ask first. I checked it identifies all on board hardware along with ports.

Sorry, because I've been feeling a little sick since yesterday, so neither the SATA ports for the HDD and optical drive have changed nor the PCIE for the GPU.

So apart from the OS Disk and formatting HDD anything else I need to do now?

One again sorry about the ASUS - Dell mix-up.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok in addition to the last post(I thought it better be given is own space):

I noticed 2 problems:

a) The UEFI BIOS doesn't fit the screen, its too large, hence about 10-12% portion is cut off. is it perhaps that as mentioned by Dell, the disk that comes with the monitor shall help put the resolution at 1920x1080 and then there won't be further problems?

b) Once the mouse clearly stopped responding, then the next time, there was this "wipe effect"- around the menu bar for the BIOS - the pixels giving the blue colour would get wiped off and black space would be left behind. Is it something serious with the monitor?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry to hear you were a little unwsell, hope you have fully recovered.
Things are looking very good. The Dell logo that flashed up on screen, I was thinking Posted Imageyou are using a Dell monitor not the one you were going to purchase. that was what flashed up.

Was about to change RAM speed from default of 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz, but thought it better to ask first.

Please leave it at 1333 MHz. All setting should be left at Default until you have a stable system running then you can make changes.

I have decided that the reason for the Red Boot LED is because there is no OS installed yet, it will go out when the system can boot.

Your concern with the size of the display and the mouse. They will be corrected when the OS/MB dirvers and Mouse softwar/drivers are installed.

So apart from the OS Disk and formatting HDD anything else I need to do now?

Depends, if you have not already done so???
Move the SATA cables and the video card, refer post #112.
You can also enter the BIOS and change the Boot order.
First boot device, Optical Drive,
Second boot device, USB,
Third boot device, HDD.
Save setting.
exit.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

I guess you may be busy with the family celebrating the coming New Year. My best wishes to you for the same.

I had this thing to ask. Its ok, even if this is answered a little later:

I got hold of my Windows 7 product key. Now i read that the route to take is to download iso 64-bit and put in the same key, works alright( but only if you're upgrading from 32-bit) .

Now here i'm running this 32-bit Win 7 OS on this old sys. so what do I need to do to make the key work on the new sys. Delete everything in here completely?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you and your Kin.

I got hold of my Windows 7 product key.

Is that the Product Key that was used on the Old system/computer?

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Yes it is/ Just extracted it using a free download utility.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
You cannot use that key on any other system, it has been activated and is permanently tied to the MB on which it was installed. You willl need to buy a new Windows OS for your new computer.

Upgrading the old computer to 64 bit can only be done within the same version. So if the 32 bit version is Home Premeum, you cannot install Windows 7 Pro. You would need to save your Data and do a fresh install.

Here I go with the Nag again. You have a working computer, you have access to the internet/email. If you mess about with the computer you might have problems or no computer.
I would strongly suggest you get your new computer up and running before touching the working one.

Bet Pa wouldn't be happy either.Posted ImagePosted Image

Advertisements

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

It didn't workout while trying to buy the OS directly from Microsoft. Also I tried to get hands on a boxed retail version of Win7 Ultimate but mostly cheap fakes or very expensie originals.

Now the next part of the problem is a dilemma:

The Win 8 or 8 pro upgrade packs are running cheap, so I wanted to get one. Trouble is would you recommend me going for trying a clean install on my machine as mentioned in this tutorial:

http://www.eightforu...-8-upgrade.html

or even in his post on a website another method is mentioned:

http://www.ghacks.ne...stall-possible/

Or otherwise they're selling Win 8 and 8 Pro OEM. Now I really don't want to be stuck with OEM like on this current machine but should I go for the upgrade packs then?

Ok here're the links to the products:

Now I'm mentioning both 8 and 8 Pro just to get your opinion if I should go for plain 8 or Pro would be better if I'm willing to shell out a few extra bucks.

Win 8 Pro Upgrade Pack:
http://www.flipkart....8c#read-reviews

Win8 Upgrade Pack:

http://www.flipkart....racker=variants

Win8 OEM:

http://www.flipkart....rating_system_3

Win8 Pro OEM:

http://www.flipkart....PSDNW94FF4KKYDH

Edited by ArionIV, 05 January 2014 - 12:02 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

from your first link, please note, Windows 8 EULA
"What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system (XP SP3, Vista, or Windows 7) software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading."
From your second link,
"According to Microsoft, the PC you want to install the Windows 8 upgrade on needs traces of an old operating system that is eligible for the upgrade. While you can still install Windows 8 on the system, it won't activate otherwise as no previous version of Windows has been found by the installer running on it."
Also note, you have to hack the installation to get it to activate. Microsoft soon picks up on such practises and they get blocked.

You do not have a legal copy of a OS you can first install on your new build, and then upgrade.

I would, buy from a reputable dealer, (see link) Windows 7 Full Retail. You could if you wish move it to a new build in the future and, upgrade to Windows 8.1 if you really felt you needed it

> http://www.flipkart....PSDYHDPZHAS26MF

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Bad day for me on this side though. Just my luck. Got the Win7 Home Premium 32/64 pack. Set up the system. Did all changes to the connections, checked on Boot Pririty settings of BIOS too.

Then got down to installing 64-bit win7. Successful!
Then put in the disk that came with MoBo and Optical Drive. Installed all necessary softwares there.

Just had Nvidia drier and Monitor driver left. Now I had to have internet connection for those, so set up my DSL Broadband connection there. Now first I got down to updating fully the 60-day trial of Norton Internet Security. Then I inserted Nvidia disc first, got to the site it took me, there I got the Win8/7/ Vista 64-bit version of the driver, downloaded it and installed.

Then I allowed restart. Got off the chair, for some work, no when I cam back it said the monitor is in Power-Saving mode because it isn't getting any signals from the computer.

I tried over and over again..bu it says the same thing, the screen's all blank/black.

Dunno what I did wrong, or what's the matter! please help!!

PS: I haven't made any partitions to the HDD, its running all 465 Gb as C:/ drive.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
There're these solutions I read but I'm yet to try:

http://www.tomshardw...r-update-please

or

http://pcsupport.abo...-8-vista-xp.htm

I guess I got version 314.2 or 344.2 don't remember well now. And as per 2nd link if I'm running an older version, how am Io rectify it?

Also I must mention the card was running ok on PCIE16_1 until this prob because it couldn' occupy the PCIE16_3 as it blocked the HD Audio then.

Edited by ArionIV, 10 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.

ArionIV

ArionIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
GDay.

Hi this is from the new system.Just removed the graphics card. Ok confirmed that the version of driver I'm running is 314.22 and the one that just got WHQL(i guess this is the abbreviation) certified and that too only yesterday is 332.21. So could it be the use of an old driver or is it that the GPU is DOA? Currently I'm using on-board graphics of course.