Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive format

• Please log in to reply

nmwaldron

nmwaldron

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
I just purchased a new 120 Gig hard drive and am trying to install it. I create a primary dos partition, using fdisk, enableing large disk support and tell it to use the maximum space available.
That all goes fine, yet when I restart and attempt to format, the progress line says it is formating 51 gigs instead of the full 120.

Help???

:tazz:

Advertisements

Tombstone

Tombstone

• Pip
  • 8 posts
what operating system are you trying to run it in?

if XP you can go to, control panel, admin tools, computer managment, then go to disk managemnet, and have a look at the hard drive, you canyeee all the availble space on that hard drive, and some may be greyed out, format that part which will enable it... good luck

nmwaldron

nmwaldron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
This is a new hard drive and does not have any operating system on it yet. I just purchased it and am running the first format to install windows.

Thanks

Nathan

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What operating system are you trying to install??

Murray

Just an addendum here, but how old is the system?? Can the system BIOS recognize that large of a hard-drive without a BIOS upgrade??

Edited by Murray S., 09 June 2005 - 09:05 AM.

nmwaldron

nmwaldron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Well, i am trying to install windows me and then upgrade to XP.
The system is brand new, it's one I just purchased and am building. The motherboard is a K8 Triton Nforce 3, the hard drive is a maxtor 120gig.

Thanks

Nathan

nmwaldron

nmwaldron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
plus the bios is recognizing the full size of the drive, it's only when I try to format it, the computer says it's formatting 51 gigs instead of the full 120

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That's about the right size for a FAT32 system to recognize..

Are you trying to upgrade with an XP upgrade cd (will say upgrade on it)??

Murray

nmwaldron

nmwaldron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it's an upgrade cd.

I went through the format anyways, and after it was done, it said the drive had the 120 gigs available space on it...so go figure??
I'm gonna go through install to make sure everything is fine.

Thanks again for the help

Nathan