Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply problem

• Please log in to reply

LanmiS

LanmiS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not computer genius, so please keep it simple :-)

My old power supply is dead...I bought new one, connected everything...and when I started my computer, it all looked fine.
Windows started working, no problem and then, computer just turn off after about 30 sec. When I started it again, it worked for about 30 sec. and again it turned off.

When I took another power supply, connected it, turned computer on, and my pc monitor was totaly blank, nothing to see and pc case was running nowmally.

Can you please help me solve this, I know that I probably haven't explained it well, so if you need any more questions feel free to ask, I will try to answer if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help and your time.
Best regards
LanmiS

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go and sorry to hear about your problem,

First thing to check is if your new Power supply is strong enough for your computer, the symptom you describe may point to either the power supply not strong enough (not enough watts for your hardware) or it may point to a faulty motherboard.

First thing is for you to tell us the specification of your PC (Brand, Model, hardware0. The more harware you have on it (like how many Hard Drives, DVD/Cd-rom's, is it an integrated Video Card or an add-on card, do you have any other PCI cards etc). If you bought a brand name PC like a Dell or HP and never added anything on it then just tell us the model number.

If not a brand name it would help if you could tell us the motherboard model (Asus ***, Gigabyte*** etc)