Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not able to read diskette...

• Please log in to reply

ComputerGirl76

ComputerGirl76

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I have a question about a diskette (the small, hard, squarish kind) that I had been using until a few years ago. Yes, I know, old school - it was all I had at the time, some 8-9 years ago. Anyway, I like to dabble in creative writing now and then and I would write something, maybe a page or two long (or just a paragraph or two) and save it to said diskette. Well, one day I put the diskette in the drive and tried to open one of many many many saved files on there only for my old desktop, a Dell, to tell me that the diskette was not formatted, and do I want to format it? I was so shocked and very upset as you may imagine. I was like, "What the...? NO! I don't want to format it!" Does this mean that all the information on the diskette is gone? Or is it still there somewhere and, if so, is there a way to retrieve it? I got no message saying it was corrupted and I researched this a little and read that if I format it that the info will still be there just rearranged somehow. Is this true, I wasn't sure I believed it and therefor never formatted it.

My desktop runs Windows XP if that helps. Sorry I don't remember what other specs I'm supposed to supply for you. :blush:

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your 3.5" floppy Disk drive may had done it's time, I would suggest you try the said diskette in another floppy that you may know works good to see if your diskette can be read there.

If you format the diskette you will erase the data on it and only with a program to retrieve deleted files may you find (no guarantee) your files again.

If your 3.5" floppy disk drive is finally good and your diskette as been damage another option is to use a program to read the said idskette and try to see if it can find your files on it before you format it.

Try this free program http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Hope that helps

ComputerGirl76

ComputerGirl76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I'm actually on my laptop now but the next time I'm on my desktop I'll give that program a try.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Floppy disks are not reliable. I'd use a CD burner instead. Just don't close the CD after each session and you'll be ok.