Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My homepage keeps changing [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Oh dear my mistake, you will have run OTL CleanUp by now and it will have removed FRST along with itself.

Don't worry FRST will be gone. :)

Advertisements

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
And JRT?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
As mentioned in my post, anything left can be deleted.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have the "noscript" addon in Firefox to deal with Java. If I need to watch a video or something, I give temporary permission, then block when I'm done. That should cover it no?

I'll make sure that I download "CryptoPrevent"

Earlier in the thread, you said the folowing:

Alright, the only IObit products left at this point are IObit uninstaller itself and IObit Driver Booster. Can these cause problems too or can I leave them?

Well I don't like driver boosters but we can deal with the uninstaller and the drive booster separately.

Just go ahead with the actions post #2.

According to my brother, IObit Driver Booster simply updates drivers that haven't been updated. Can that cause harm?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I have the "noscript" addon in Firefox to deal with Java. If I need to watch a video or something, I give temporary permission, then block when I'm done. That should cover it no?

Short answer yes, I think it's a good way to go.

According to my brother, IObit Driver Booster simply updates drivers that haven't been updated. Can that cause harm?

I suppose it depends on what, if anything, it brings with it, but in theory, no.

Here is one some of my colleagues have used in the past. You would be best to check when you install it that it doesn't bring foistware with it although that wasn't a problem in the past.

FileHippo Update Checker

You may also be interested in this one too.

To bolster your security go here to ensure essential programs are up to date.

Also

Be aware that you can update the drivers yourself through the hardware update wizard in device management (Control Panel > Device Management, right click on the driver/item and select Update Driver Software ).

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Okay, one last thing before I finally let you go. I hear Comodo Firewall is a real pain to uninstall as it keeps leaving bits of itself behind. (as was the case with this guy here. My link )

Revo Uninstaller freeware is supposed to be a more powerful upgrade to the Add/Remove Programs function in windows. It searches for pieces left behind that windows wasn't able to find and uninstall. My link My link

Do you think it's safe to use?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Comodo is notoriously hard to remove. Revo Uninstaller is a good utility to help with difficult removals.

Having said that here are some options for you:

First of all uninstall Comodo in the usual manner.

After that

Download and run the Comodo Removal Tool

Click on the button to the right side and from the drop down choose Download.

Double click to unzip and run.

If you still have leftovers

Download AppRemover and run it.

Click Next >>
Posted Image

Ensure Remove Security Application is collected and click Next >>
Posted Image

AppRemover will scan all the security applications on your PC
Posted Image

Select Any <<Application Name>> entries from the applications offered and click Next >> twice.
Posted Image

Follow any further on-screen instructions. If asked to reboot, please do so.

Note: Please do not browse the internet or open any email attachments until you have replacement protection activated or installed

Or

Here is the link I give to people to download Revo Uninstaller

Download Revo Uninstaller

When asked to search for files and registry keys, do a full search and remove anything it finds.

Come back and tell me how you got on.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I uninstalled thru windows, then ran the Comodo Removal Tool twice. The only thing left was an obsolete shortcut(which I deleted) and the original comodo installer program in my downloads section. I'm keeping that incase OnLine-Armour gives me serious compatability issues or something.

The OnLine-Armour setup program is asking me to disable Microsoft Security Essentials before I get started. How do I do that?

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

I uninstalled thru windows, then ran the Comodo Removal Tool twice. The only thing left was an obsolete shortcut(which I deleted) and the original comodo installer program in my downloads section. I'm keeping that incase OnLine-Armour gives me serious compatability issues or something.

The OnLine-Armour setup program is asking me to disable Microsoft Security Essentials before I get started. How do I do that?

Nevermind, I googled it up.

It's asking me to install TLEM network adapters, I hope that's not more foistware.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
After it was finished and before it asked me to reboot I got "Note: Unknown Autoruns were detected during scan. Click here to confirm them now."

I did and then I got a window showing a file "status: ask -user is asked if hpqSRMon.exe is allowed to run", "program: hpqSRMon.exe", "Description: HpqSRMon, 12.0.0.223, (12.0.0.223)"

At the bottom left of the window there's a box checked saying "Hide Trusted". To the right, on the bottom there are 4 buttons, "allow all", "allow", "block", "delete" and underneath them there's a button saying "OK".

Or, I could just close the window and ignore it entirely and press the "restart now" button.(or "not now")

In the window offering to restart, on the bottom left there's a link saying "click here to adjust program options".

When I click THAT, I get a window with different tabs. "general", "firewall", "exclusions", "backup/restore", "hotkeys" and "license".

It's in the "general" tab at the moment and this lept out at me. A box that's already checked in that says "Join the Anti-Malware Network. No personally identifiable information is stored."

Should I just ignore all this stuff and press "restart"?

Advertisements

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
According to this link HpqSRMon.exe is connected to my HP printer and my HP Photosmart Essentials. Seems harmless enough, no?

http://www.file.net/...qsrmon.exe.html

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

It's asking me to install TLEM network adapters

The link below may be of interest:

http://support.emsis...-about-drivers/

user is asked if hpqSRMon.exe is allowed to run

hpqSRMon.exe is part of HP digital imaging.

According to this link HpqSRMon.exe is connected to my HP printer and my HP Photosmart Essentials. Seems harmless enough, no?

Yes it's harmless.

As I said in an earlier post, firewalls do ask you about whether to allow files. You also mentioned somewhere in the thread that Comodo used to ask you about files too.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Yes it's harmless.

As I said in an earlier post, firewalls do ask you about whether to allow files. You also mentioned somewhere in the thread that Comodo used to ask you about files too.

Yes and sadly I did not always know if the file was needed for my computer or was actually a threat. This time, fortunately, it was easy to identify and understand.

It's in the "general" tab at the moment and this lept out at me. A box that's already checked in that says "Join the Anti-Malware Network. No personally identifiable information is stored."

I take it the "Anti-Malware Network" is relatively benign and the box should be left checked?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I take it the "Anti-Malware Network" is relatively benign and the box should be left checked?

It's part of Emsisoft, see discussion at link below:

http://support.emsis...alware-network/

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Alright, that should do it. You have been EXTREMELY helpful and informative, thank you for all of your time, effort and patience in assisting me. It's very much appreciated. :)