Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep receiving Google "unusual traffic" notification

• Please log in to reply

t3cii

t3cii

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm sorry if this is not in the right area, but I wasn't sure where to post this.

About 4 days ago, a few times when I tried to do a google search, I would be taken to a screen like this one, where I'm asked to verify that I am not a robot:

Posted Image

I wasn't doing any more google searches than I normally was. But it kept coming up, sometimes even after I filled in the captcha. This is on both Google Chrome, and Firefox.

I scanned with Avast. It found two infections, but I also did a boot scan, which found significantly more. about 19 or so. I put them all in quarantine. I also scanned with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D, which also found a few infections. I put them in quarantine, and tried to fix the ones in Malwarebytes. Later scans didn't reveal any more infections. But the google notice continues.

MY operating system is Windows XP. The computer is a Dell, one I got from my sister's office after they decided to get new computers.

The computer is somewhat slow while I'm online. And I have noticed it is turned on in the morning, even if I've turned it off before I've gone to bed. This is something my sister had noticed as well when she was using it, but she didn't know what the reason for that would be, and I'm not sure if this is related to my current problem, or if it is another problem altogether.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I would post over in the malware removal thread, it is possible that there might be a few more in hiding on your computer. In the meantime, which browser(i.e. internet explorer, chrome, firefox, etc.) do you use? If you keep yourself logged into google I would recommend changing your password. Also, are you sure that you're not a robot? There's no shame in being a robot, I'm sure there's an activist group right now fighting for robot rights :D

t3cii

t3cii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm mostly using Chrome, but I don't sign into it or anything.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I would check the extensions and addons to see if there's something there, anti virus programs don't always pick up on those unfortunately.