Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need to know how to copy all files transfers to/from a PC

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Starting to have problems with son either sending inappropriate pictures or videos or receiving pictures or videos (or downloading inappropriate pictures or videos). Mainly he sends these or receives them through Skype. Usually when he sends pictures its directly from his iPod Touch rather than the PC's hard drive (Windows 7 home edition). This is a PC accessing Internet through Linksys wireless router. I have the PC in a public location, I've talked with him about this, cut off Internet access a couple of times, and I'm wanting to give him one more chance. But I need to be able to detect when he's broken the rules. This is NOT covert - he will know I'm monitoring him.

Is there any software I can install on the PC that would make a copy of every file sent or received and either email them to me or copy into some hidden folder that only I can access? Especially those files sent and received through Skype.

All I've found is software that will log a list of all file transfers, but not copy the actual files. But it's not like my son nor his friends will name files descriptively, so this is useless. Unless he left the uploaded/downloaded file on the PC (he's smart enough to cover his tracks), you're out of luck. The best I could get is the monitoring software that takes screenshots which, with screenshots taken frequently enough, would allow you to see the file when it was viewed. But I foresee taking at least an hour every day to view thousands of screenshots trying to catch a view of a file being downloaded - even with a log of all file transfers, matching up the time of the transfer to the screenshot would be time consuming.

I suspect there are enterprise solutions, but I don't know if they'd be workable in a home setting without having substantial infrastructure in place at home.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,588 posts
if he is doing it on another device other than the pc, then there isn't much you can do, as far as your needs go. You end up looking at expensive enterprise solutions.

I highly recommend looking at opendns and paying for the premium support. very cheap for what it does.

Other than that I found some reviews online:
http://www.pcmag.com...tor Ratings=4.5

Net Nanny seems to be highly rated.