Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Master Boot Record

• Please log in to reply

tyler4402

tyler4402

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi all, my problem is with my Windows7 Pro system as it will not boot up and I have to boot from the W7 CD.
I am not sure what has caused the prob although yesterday I ran Revo uninstaller and installed a Cannon printer.
I have tried all day to replace the MBR from the command prompt and when I get half way after typing "List volume" I exit and then type the drive letter which is listed as D but I always get the message that (D is not recognized as an internal or external command) and I cannot get any further, it does not matter what letters I type none are accepted. I have two other hdd's in the PC and I have isolated them by taking out the cables
If anyone can explain what is happening I'll be most grateful, regards Robert.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you try: How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7

Run it up to 3 times.

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Ztrucker
Thanks for your reply, and yes I have tried the method you suggest, and I will try it again, I just can't understand why entering the drive letter is classed as an unrecognized command, thanks for your input, regards Robert.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hello tyler4402 :)

Follow these steps to Fix the Windows 7 Bootloader:

• Boot from the Install disk --> Choose Command Prompt
    • Type > bootrec /fixmbr (writes mbr but does not overwrite partition table)
    • Type > bootrec /fixboot (writes new boot sector to system partition)
    • Type > bootrec /scanos (scans for other OS’s that you might want to add to bcd)
    • Type > bootrec /rebuildbcd (scans for other OS’s, unlike rebuildbcd it allows you to select the OS’s you want to add to bcd)
  • Reboot
If that doesn't work, try the below steps:

This option is basically going to give you a new MBR and bootloader. Boot as above and use these commands:

Type > bootsect /nt60 c: /force /mbr (writes a new MBR to C:)
Type > bcdboot c:\windows /s c: (writes a new bootloader to C:)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What are the exact commands you are using?

You need to specify the disk or volume number, not the letter.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: SHOP-XP

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status      Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  ----------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online       466 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online        74 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list vol

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     G                       DVD-ROM         0 B
  Volume 1     H                       DVD-ROM         0 B
  Volume 2     C   XP_C         NTFS   Partition     98 GB  Healthy    System
  Volume 3     D   XP_D         NTFS   Partition    184 GB  Healthy
  Volume 4     E   XP_E         NTFS   Partition    184 GB  Healthy
  Volume 5     F   XP_F         NTFS   Partition     74 GB  Healthy
  Volume 6     J                       Removeable      0 B
  Volume 7     K                       Removeable      0 B
  Volume 8     L                       Removeable      0 B
  Volume 9     M                       Removeable      0 B

DISKPART> select vol 2

Volume 2 is the selected volume.

DISKPART>

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi again Ztrucker. my commands are the same as you illustrate, after typing Diskpart, then selecting disk 0 and list volume, the prompt then says disk 0 is the DVD drive or something like that, and gives me a drive letter of (D) then I exit. I next type > drive letter (D) and enter, this is when I get the message, I have also tried the volume number which was 0 both are not recognized, and as the drive or volume are usually accepted to continue I wonder why not on this PC.

I have tried the directions sent by Babbzzz and on the first reboot all my directories and folders of txt had disappeared and the desk top looked like a new install, on the second the PC would not reboot as I got several messages that “ The ordinal 559,592,791 and others, could not be located in the ***dll etc so I think something is missing from the instructions as the PC is scrambled.

I have rebooted the PC with a disk I made months ago which has returned my desktop, and tried to do a system restore but it will not restore as the directory is reported as Corrupted or Unreadable so as I have to use the disk each time I start the PC, and as I have all my important data on another hdd unfortunately I think that I will have to do a clean install, I can't see any other way. Regards Robert.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you post a screen capture of a full screen Disk Management window please.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

Vista and Windows 7: How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, thanks for the help, I hope this is what you want? I used Print Screen but I will keep trying to do your method. I started the PC this morning and the blue screen came back with the ie4unite.exe box and several messages again, which stops the PC from booting, so I booted from the windows recovery CD, regards Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• disk.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That was fine, thanks. All looks correct, same as mine actually.

Back to using diskpart.

Can you capture the diskpart commands and responses as I showed from an Elevated Command Prompt?
Use right click then mark, select the text then right click to capture it. Paste in a response here. If you enclose it in a code box (the <> above the text input area) then it will maintain it's formatting and be easier to read.

Also, here is a writeup on using bootrec.exe:

Bootrec.jpg

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi ZT, Sorry if there is a delay in my response as it is getting harder to boot up even with the recovery disk I made, so if I don't get back its because I don't have access to another PC, but I will at the first opportunity.
I am having trouble saving the txt from the command prompt, which I ran from the Win7 CD because the txt would not highlight, the last try was by using the windows+R buttons and as I entered the commands this time I omitted the “Exit” after List Volume, as this is where I get the “not recognized as a command” message, so I tried carrying on with the commands and after typing bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr the PC automatically started CHEKDSK and after the run the PC booted but I got the same messages again of “The ordinel 559 in the dynamic link library cannot be found, and Problem starting C:\Windows\System32\iedkcs32.dll op system cannot run %1
Anyway I will have another try to lift the text from the command prompt for you, regards Robert.

PS Are you suggesting that I should try the Bootrec process which you have highlighted?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Using bootrec is one of the possible fixes so yes, give it a try.

Here is a little tutorial on capturing text in the command prompt window.

http://www.microsoft...y.mspx?mfr=true

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi ZT here is an update, I have not been able to capture what you want yet, but I have been busy trying things with the command prompt, and generally after I got the "completely successful” the next command always brought the “Not recognized as an internal or external command”
Then I tried the bcdedit/export again and it identified 3 Windows Installation commands, I think it requested them to be added to the directory? after saying yes to each which this time was reported successful I entered bootrec /Rebuildbcd and exited the prompt.
I had previously tried this process and it failed.
Anyway the PC will now boot, but after the Bios screen the “Boot manager” screen comes up and I have to select the Win7 Pro operating system, of which there are now three showing, before the PC fully boots up.
Thanks for the tutorial it will be useful, although I still cannot understand why certain commands were not recognized.
So now that we have got the PC to boot should I try the Diskpart again and send you the screen print as you requested, "now that I have the distructions :-)"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Not necessary unless you want to add it here for the record so to speak.

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi TZ, after booting from the Win7 dvd I did try to copy the command prompt txt which did highlight and copy ok, but the txt disappaired when I rebooted the PC, anyway now the good news, I entered the diskpart and when I got to entering the drive letter it was accepted this time.
When I booted from the dvd a message came in the startup repair box saying there was some problems, which I ignored as I needed the System Recovery Options to enter the diskpart Command Prompt.
As I now have to select the OP system from the boot manager before the PC will boot I was wondering if this is one of the problems, and if there was a way to work round this extra task, or now that the commands are accepted do you think it would be better to replace the MBR by doing the full diskpart process again. Regards Robert

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Run msconfig (Window key + R, type msconfig and press Enter).
Click on the Boot tab. Delete all entries except the one you chose from the boot menu.