Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Windows 7 - Changing read only files and viewing hidden files

• Please log in to reply

risefreeze

risefreeze

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok so here's my problem. There's this stubborn file in my documents folder that is checked read only. When I uncheck read only and hit apply it will just revert back to read only when I look again.
The folder is called command and conquer generals zero hour (folder for the game zero hour). In this folder it contains saved games, replays, maps, etc. for the game. The game itself was a windows xp game and some of the features I am having trouble getting to work with windows 7. To focus in on one particular problem with this folder: I am trying to add a replay to the replay folder. So I go to my documents > cnc generals zh folder > rep file > (add replay in the replay folder). This would have worked with windows xp. With windows 7 I am unable to create any new files or drag any files inside the "rep file". However I am able to drag files into the "rep file" when I am looking at it from the zero hour generals folder on the outside. Even when I do this however, the files do not register with the game. Someone suggested on another site that there should be a subfolder within the rep file called "replays" (which doesn't appear on mine). So I created a folder called "replays" and tried to drag it into the rep file and it says that it already exists (but it isn't visible to me). I have enabled all hidden files and system files in the folder options menu.

Here's what I tried so far:
1. Taking ownership of the file by using the take ownership tool.
2. Changing the permissions of the file to my account
3. Enabling hidden files, system files, and making everything visible in folder options

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am more than willing to donate to anyone that can come up with a solution. Here's a link to a different thread I made that has some pictures in it.
http://www.gamerepla...howtopic=938892

Advertisements