Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Telnet on port 23

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Just completed a PC build and installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as my OS. My old PC was a Windows XP OS and I was able to Telnet without a problem to play an online game. I'm trying to do the same with my new PC, but it's not working. Did some research online and found that Telnet needs to be enabled in Windows 7. I did that and tested it via the cmd prompt and it worked, but still couldn't connect via Telnet to my game through the game website. I then created inbound and outbound rules in order to open port 23 (Telnet port) from Windows 7's firewall. Still can't get it to work. I then used an online port scanner to check if the port was indeed open. It is not. I get the message, "{my IP address} isn't responding on port 23". I am stumped and don't know what to do. This new PC is connected to the Internet via a wireless network, so I'm not sure if that could be the problem. Maybe if I hardwire my PC to the network that might fix it? I just don't know. Please help!

Thanks.

Edited by Webslinger64, 14 December 2013 - 12:37 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
What Anti Virus program is installed, and does it contain a Firewall?

Thanks
Joe :)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

What Anti Virus program is installed, and does it contain a Firewall?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Joe. I am using Avast (free version) and I do not believe it contains a firewall.

Edited by Webslinger64, 14 December 2013 - 08:39 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi Webslinger64

No. Free Avast does not have a Firewall so you're a good there.

One other thing I can think of, as a test, you could do is:

Boot to Safe Mode with Networking just to see if that works, if it does it tells us a third party program is interfering, never know about Avast or any other Anti Virus programs when it comes to connection issue.....

Restart the computer, during restart keep tapping the F8 Key. The windows Advanced boot options menu will display, black screen with white letters.

Use the arrow keys to Select Safe Mode with networking and try it from there. You're Anti Virus program will not be running in this mode, so don't surf around the Internet, just do it as a test...

Thanks

Edited by zep516, 14 December 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hi Webslinger64

No. Free Avast does not have a Firewall so you're a good there.

One other thing I can think of, as a test, you could do is:

Boot to Safe Mode with Networking just to see if that works, if it does it tells us a third party program is interfering, never know about Avast or any other Anti Virus programs when it comes to connection issue.....

Restart the computer, during restart keep tapping the F8 Key. The windows Advanced boot options menu will display, black screen with white letters.

Use the arrow keys to Select Safe Mode with networking and try it from there. You're Anti Virus program will not be running in this mode, so don't surf around the Internet, just do it as a test...

Thanks

Gave that a try and the result is the same. I'm stumped! Any other ideas? Thanks!

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Avast Free does not have a firewall BUT it does have a Web Shield component and (under the Troubleshooting section of the last setting menu) is a list of monitored and redirected ports (that Avast monitors the traffic on those ports). If you find port 23 listed, remove it and then see if the Telnet works for you. You can also test if turning Web Shield off helps or not.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Shoot!!!!!

I don't, and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with, port forwarding too. Do you have to use Port 23?

Does the Game site offer any help?

Joe
:)

Edited by zep516, 14 December 2013 - 09:08 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Avast Free does not have a firewall BUT it does have a Web Shield component and (under the Troubleshooting section of the last setting menu) is a list of monitored and redirected ports (that Avast monitors the traffic on those ports). If you find port 23 listed, remove it and then see if the Telnet works for you. You can also test if turning Web Shield off helps or not.

Thanks for that bit of info. I checked the Web Shield and port 23 is not listed as a monitored or redirected port. I also turned off Web Shield and tried to telnet into my game, but same result.
I don't know if this might help, but I would like to provide you with the website URL that I use to telnet into my game. That way you can see for yourself what it is I am attempting to do, which always works successfully when I do it on a PC with Windows XP. Website address is:

http://mudstats.com/World/LostwaysBBS

I then click on the link Address: lostways.no-ip.biz:23

Once clicked, that brings up a Launch Application window. I click 'ok' in that window and it telnets into the logon screen for my game where it asks for a USER-ID. That logon window is what I can't get to appear on Windows 7. I follow the exact same steps I just mentioned, I get the Launch Application window, but when I click 'ok' that window disappears and the logon screen does not appear.

BTW, I have also turned off Windows Firewall completely to test that way. I was still unable to telnet in.

Edited by Webslinger64, 15 December 2013 - 05:46 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Hello and thanks for the web site link. What do you have set for the Telnet protocol handler in the application window that pops up? (See attached) I just tried this and had no problem BUT I don't have Avast anymore.

Launch Telnet.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
dbreeze, what app did you choose?

The place I find it is: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-telnet-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_10fb38c9aecea07d\telnet.exe

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
I actually did not choose any; the command window ran what showed in the screen shot and went to the sign in screen just fine. I just wanted to know what the OP had mapped on their system. Telent.exe is in my Windows\System32 folder (running Win7 Ult SP1 32bit).

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I actually did not choose any; the command window ran what showed in the screen shot and went to the sign in screen just fine. I just wanted to know what the OP had mapped on their system. Telent.exe is in my Windows\System32 folder (running Win7 Ult SP1 32bit).

OK, here is a screen shot of the Launch Application window I get on Windows 7. It is the exact same on Windows XP for me as well. It is different than the pic you posted. Mine shows... Send to: Internet Shortcut Shell Extension DLL

Posted Image

Edited by Webslinger64, 16 December 2013 - 11:08 AM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Yes; this is what I thought was going on. XP and Win7 seem to handle Telnet (and other 'older' communications) differently. I seem to remember one company I worked for used a lot of Telnet type communications for their business system and had a heck of a time getting things to work properly when XP and later systems came out. What is happening is that Windows passes the call to the listed process (which then runs and closes). Did you upgrade from XP to Win7 (install Win7 as an upgrade from XP)? Then, Win7 picked this up from XP and needs to be adjusted.

The following steps involve some changes to your registry, so I will warn you about that right up front. I suggest you backup your current registry settings just in case you need to return to them if anything unforeseen happens.

To backup your registry:
  • Download a copy of ERUNT from here.
  • Read the instructions on the download page and install the program.
  • Run ERUNT to make a backup of your current registry hives.
Download the following registry file and save it to your desktop
Attached File  telnet.reg   1.45KB   388 downloads

Right click on the file and check that Merge is in bold and should be at the top of list of options (this indicates that Merge is the default action for double clicking / "running" this file). (If you want to look at the contents of this file, you can choose Edit and it should open in Notepad.)

Double click on the telnet.reg file to merge this into your registry. If a UAC permission windows opens, select Yes. A warning about adding / importing files to your registry will open; select Yes / OK. When the merge is finished, click OK and then try your login to the game again. When asked what tool to use, select the one shown in my post #9 of this thread (rundll32.exe url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %l). A command window should open and stay open with the connection to the site you wanted.

If anything goes wrong, you can return your registry to the previous state by Running the ERDNT program in the backup files that ERUNT made (typically, this is C:\Windows\ERUNT\date of backup).

Let us know if this does or doesn't work for you. Thanks.

Edit: Forgot link to ERUNT and some text.

Edited by dbreeze, 16 December 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Yes; this is what I thought was going on. XP and Win7 seem to handle Telnet (and other 'older' communications) differently. I seem to remember one company I worked for used a lot of Telnet type communications for their business system and had a heck of a time getting things to work properly when XP and later systems came out. What is happening is that Windows passes the call to the listed process (which then runs and closes). Did you upgrade from XP to Win7 (install Win7 as an upgrade from XP)? Then, Win7 picked this up from XP and needs to be adjusted.

The following steps involve some changes to your registry, so I will warn you about that right up front. I suggest you backup your current registry settings just in case you need to return to them if anything unforeseen happens.

To backup your registry:

• Download a copy of ERUNT from here.
  • Read the instructions on the download page and install the program.
  • Run ERUNT to make a backup of your current registry hives.
Download the following registry file and save it to your desktop
Attached File  telnet.reg   1.45KB   388 downloads

Right click on the file and check that Merge is in bold and should be at the top of list of options (this indicates that Merge is the default action for double clicking / "running" this file). (If you want to look at the contents of this file, you can choose Edit and it should open in Notepad.)

Double click on the telnet.reg file to merge this into your registry. If a UAC permission windows opens, select Yes. A warning about adding / importing files to your registry will open; select Yes / OK. When the merge is finished, click OK and then try your login to the game again. When asked what tool to use, select the one shown in my post #9 of this thread (rundll32.exe url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %l). A command window should open and stay open with the connection to the site you wanted.

If anything goes wrong, you can return your registry to the previous state by Running the ERDNT program in the backup files that ERUNT made (typically, this is C:\Windows\ERUNT\date of backup).

Let us know if this does or doesn't work for you. Thanks.

Edit: Forgot link to ERUNT and some text.

The Windows 7 PC is a build I just completed, so it is a separate machine. Since it is not an upgrade from Windows XP, should I still follow your directions above for the new PC?

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Those instructions will correct the Telnet start to what you expect it to do. I ran this on my machine and the window stays up and lets me log into (if I had a password) the game site as you described in an earlier post. The key to this one is that you can easily return to as you are now IF it doesn't work (why I wanted you to use the ERUNT / ERDNT utility; Geeks to Go recommends this as a registry backup, so it will be useful to you anyway (always good to have backups).

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.