Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on buying a graphics card

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a Compaq Presario (SR5139UK) Desktop PC, here is a link to HP that lists my computer specs,

http://h10025.www1.h...product=3470290

I had the computer from new a few years ago, and ran the windows experience index and it came out at 5.8 I use the computer for the internet and play games online, like facebook games and bought games like Tomb Raider and Crysis. I had to turn the graphics down on the bought games to about half way, but they played ok. Then about 12 months ago, The computer stopped working, so I took it to a friend of a friend, who said the graphics card had burnt out and also damaged the motherboard. He changed the motherboard for another one, (same original board), and said he had a 2nd hand graphics card I could have, a ATI RADEON HD5450. Anyway, when I got it back, the windows experience index has dropped to 2.2 and the graphics are very slow, on the bought games I have the graphics turned down to minimum, and games on facebook are slow, I could just buy a new card, original spec, but I thought I could perhaps get a higher spec card, but then, all the talk about power suplies and space inside the case, and PCI Express, is all over my head. Can someone suggest a card that will fit and work, and is better/faster than the original, without upgrading anything else, for under £100 I saw this card on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

It has 2GB of onboard RAM, my Original card only had 256MB, but will it fit/work, or can anyone sugest an alternative. If nothing is suttable, I will just get another original. Last week, I added 2GB of RAM, so I now have 4GB, but the graphics although improved, are still slugish. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello tanda

The card at your link requires a 350W PSU and so is ruled out without a PSU upgrade :(

Unfortunately any add on video card that is anywhere near decent will require a better PSU than a stock 300W one that is fitted as standard in your model of computer.

You would be best holding out until your budget will allow for the purchase of a good quality bronze rated 500W PSU as that will give you better video card options.

A couple of examples;
GPU
PSU

For some additional information please see my canned text below;

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Phill, Thanks for the reply. I could streatch to the upgrades you suggested, so I have bookmarked your links, so thank you. If I decide to just get an original, which one do I want, I put the original in on Amazon, and all these came up.

http://www.amazon.co... geforce 8400gs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello tanda

Of the cards at the amazon link this one, keep in mind that the card may have been ok with the older less demanding games but with newer games and as yet unreleased games the card will not perform so well, DirectX capability is another thing to watch out for.

You are welcome btw :thumbsup: