Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution for Windows XP Stop Code 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply

dogdogdog

dogdogdog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I cloned a 750GB IDE hard drive to a 1TB hard drive and I installed the new hard Drive into a different PC. It will not boot. I used the original xp cd to do a repair and I get the above stop code. Are there any solutions?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
0x0000007B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Did you clone all the partitions from the 750GB drive or just the boot partition?

Please post a full screen Disk Management picture from the 750GB system.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

XP: CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy

For GeeksToGo: Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

You could also try booting the Recovery Console from the XP install CD.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

Then enter:

fixboot
fixmbr

Remove CD and reboot, see what happens.

dogdogdog

dogdogdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply, sorry for being so late with a response. I tried the fixboot and fixmbr and then rebooted the pc. Now I get the screen that asks how to load windows, i.e., normally, safe, safe with networking, etc., not matter what I select it loops back to that same screen.

dogdogdog

dogdogdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to mention, I clone the entire disk, setting and all. Also the new hard drive is SATA vs IDE (old Drive).

dogdogdog

dogdogdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help. I was able to go into setup and change the device setting to IDE and that worked.