Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie trying to install Mint

• Please log in to reply

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have always used Windows and currently Xp Pro.Wanted to move to Linux and tried Mint 16 via USB and really liked it.

Tried to install on hard drive alongside Xp on dual boot basis. I got so far and then error message to say it had crashed. This happened three times. So I gave up but then found it had created three additional partitions. Tried to get rid of these and then found I couldn't boot into Windows so had to do a reinstall.

Despite this, I'd like to have another go with Mint.

Any ideas as to what went wrong?

My hard drive (laptop) is 500Gb.

Advertisements

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Have you shrunk your windows partition

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Verify the MD5 of the iso image before creating a bootable usb

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Also are you using linuxlive to make the USB?

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the replies.

To install on the USB I used unetbootin-windows-585.exe.

Don't know about MD5. How does that work?

Within Mint there is the facility to install it on the hard drive, and it says it automatically deals with the partitioning. So, I didn't do anything to the partitions.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
In layman terms, an MD5 is used to check whether the downloaded file is not corrupted in any way and all files are intact.

The MD5 depends on whether the you installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version on Linux Mint 16. You can find the MD5 here. (Click on your version)

To check the MD5 on windows, download WinMD5 and check whether the MD5 of the ISO you downloaded and the one on the website is the same.

I suggested this as the installer crashes halfway.

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, Babbzzz

I've downloaded the ISO file again and it passed the MD5 test.

For safety, sometime over Christmas I'm going to install my spare hard drive in my laptop and install Mint16 on it so that I can test it.

Assuming it all runs OK, does anyone know how I can install my Canon Pixma MG5340 on Mint?

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
See this: http://www.canon.ie/...1&type=download

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the driver link.

As I said, the latest download passed the MD5 test. I put in a spare hard drive and loaded up Mint 16 from the flash drive. I selected "install on Hard Drive", got as far as selecting "Automatic Log In" and got the "Installer Has Crashed" message. It said that after I closed that window a report would be sent (to where, I don't know!). However, the window wouldn't close and so I had to shut down.

I thought Linux installation was supposed to be relatively easy!

Any ideas?

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
I searched around and I think it is a bug in the latest version, some users have had this experience.

I suggest you try Linux Mint 15 (what I'm currently using). I'm pretty sure everything will be smooth. Can you do that? You will love it, it's no less awesome than Linux Mint 16.

http://forums.linuxm...r crash#p791277
http://forums.linuxm...r crash#p797709

Please post back. :)

Upgrading the Linux kernel on Linux Mint 16 was touted as the solution for a particular user, it may or may not work for you. You can see instructions for that here.

Edited by Babbzzz, 20 December 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks babbzzz. I did try 15 - it's just that 16 has quite a few improvements. I'll load 15 on my spare drive and let you know. If the bug in 16 is cured will it be possible to upgrade?

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Sure. Good luck. :)

Post back, let me know if 15 works. :)

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It installed OK on my hard drive. Thanks.

Interestingly, I wanted to set it to log on automatically but when I chose that option the Continue button remained greyed out. So I hade to choose the login with user name and password.

bruntsfield

bruntsfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed the printer driver (I made a mistake with my earlier post - it's a Canon Pixma MG 5450, but I found the driver). It seems to have installed but when I try Print Test Page I can't get it to print.

Any ideas?

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hello bruntsfield :)

I'm a Linux newbie as well. Just about 3 months since I've ditched Windows. I haven't configured to use a printer on Linux yet, but I think this guide will be of some use.

Post back with how it goes. :)