Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Configuring Windows Update fails

• Please log in to reply

Commander

Commander

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello,

On or around December 11th, windows update downloaded 8 or 9 updates. Whenever I shutdown or boot up my computer, it attempts to configure the updates. It hangs at 12% every time. The computer eventually shuts itself down and then reverts the changes and successfully boots up. This repeats every time as the updates always fail to install. I've tried to run a system restore to a point before the updates but that didn't work. I am running Windows 7 Home edition 64bit. Here are the 9 updates

KB2898785
KB2887069
KB2893294
KB2893984
KB2847077
KB2891804
KB2904266
KB2913152
SAMSUNG Elctronics Co., Ltd. - Other hardware - SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Commander

Try manually installing the updates one at a time to see if a particular update is causing the problem, see The steps for Windows 7 (half way down the page) here

Let us know how you get on.

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. It appears that after roughly a month of trying to install the updates, it finally worked? My computer boots up and shuts down without trying to install those updates. The update history window shows success for those updates now. Not sure why they finally installed?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up Commander :thumbsup:

As to why it happened in the first place I would not like to speculate but perhaps a buggy update has been corrected and re-released.

You are most welcome btw :)