Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System restore doesn't run...

• Please log in to reply

Mihai101

Mihai101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi.

I want to restore my system but it doesn't run.

I go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Select 'restore my computer to an earlier time', click on next, and then when I choose a date and press next nothing happens.. please help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello Mihai101

You have completed steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 but have you also completed steps 5 and 6 as detailed here

Can I ask why you need to restore your computer to a previous state, can you also provide as much information about the computer as you can as in notebook or desktop - brand name or custom built etc.

Mihai101

Mihai101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks for replying!

I want to restore because I installed a program to work at home on some projects for college. The problem is the program kind of messed up my PC, it's lagging some times and the sounds is messed up too! I've uninstalled the program since I'm done with my projects and it's still messed up. While I was googleing I read somewhere that this program makes changes in the system files.
I am stuck at step 4, I choose a date and click next but nothing happens.

Edited by Mihai101, 18 December 2013 - 12:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello Mihai101

Are the dates that you are selecting identified as restore points by being emphasized in bold.

What was the program that you installed.

Do you have an XP disk in case you need to do a Repair Installation.

I asked in my reply #2

can you also provide as much information about the computer as you can as in notebook or desktop - brand name or custom built etc.

Please also answer this question.

You are welcome btw :)

Mihai101

Mihai101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Phill!

1. Yes
2. AutoCAD 2008
3. No :(
4. It's desktop, brand name... Flamingo, I guess? Sorry, I'm a noob. I don't know exaclty what to say here :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello Mihai101

As you have no XP disk your options are rather limited I`m afraid :(

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually.
On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.

When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

As an asides Mihai101 I do not use AutoCAD but I am well aware of the software and have never heard of it corrupting an OS or any other program, can I ask from where you obtained the program and subsequent product licence key.

Mihai101

Mihai101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Phill!

Yes.. your solution is very risky and I'm not sure I'll go with it.

I obtained the program through 'unorthodox' methods. I know you do not support piracy but I really didn't have the neccesary money to buy the software only to work on a few projects for college. I really needed this to pass Aided Graphics and I did, but it isn't something I'm going to stick with, it was very interesting, but I uninstalled and deleted the software afterwards after only using it a few times at home. I really hope you'll understand :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hello Mihai101

Thank you for your openess regarding how you obtained the AutoCAD software, you are correct in that we do not condone any form of software piracy (or any other form of illegal activity) and under normal circumstances we would cease to offer any form of assistance immediately, you have now uninstalled the said software and I can only ask that if you have any other non legitimate software that you do the same with that or as previously stated GTG will not assist you, please advise on this so that we can determine whether or not we can continue with this or any other topic, as per the GTG TOU;

q. We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

FYI: The following information from your reply #3 is why I asked from where you obtained the software;

While I was googleing I read somewhere that this program makes changes in the system files.

Legitimate/reputable software does not corrupt system files, if it did the software provider would soon go out of business, pirate software however can and most often does cause problems and most significantly malware infection, with this in mind I suggest that you follow the GTG malware redirection information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;
1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days and not received a reply post in the Waiting Room and be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

Yes.. your solution is very risky and I'm not sure I'll go with it.

Not sure what you mean as I never suggested that running Chkdsk /r involved any risk.