Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to connect-Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged'.

• Please log in to reply

Ministrel

Ministrel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been using my Belkin USB adapter for the past 2 years without a problem on my XP Dell inspiron desktop.For some reason I have been unable to connect to internet today.I keep getting the message 'This webpage cannot be displayed'.I cleared cookies & reinstalled the Belkin adapter & on Network connections it says 'Connected'.I also see the yellow light on the USB adapter.On the network page I also see the message 'Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged'.I disabled my firewall to see if there was something blocking but it did not help.My Belkin adapter model is F7D1101 V1
http://www.belkin.co...support-sear... .All other computers are able to access the internet.Any help on this would be appreciated.Thanks.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,184 posts
Hi Ministrel and :welcome:

Let's see if a couple of things first will shed some more light on this:
  • What security software do you have on this system?
  • You mentioned your firewall; is this separate or part of the software in #1? If separate, what is the name?
  • If you go to Control Panel > Device Manager, are there any yellow triangle(s) on network adapters or USB sections?
  • Can you try the USB adapter on a different USB port on this system? What happens then? Can you connect to web pages?
  • If #3 is unsuccessful, can you try the USB adapter on a different system? What happens then? Can you connect to web pages on this different system?
  • Lastly, if you know how to get to your router / access point device's log, are there any entries there that mention this system and USB adapter?
I'm not a expert on this but this information should help point us in the right direction. Thanks.

Ministrel

Ministrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• You mentioned your firewall; is this separate or part of the software in #1? If separate, what is the name?
  • If you go to Control Panel > Device Manager, are there any yellow triangle(s) on network adapters or USB sections?
  • Can you try the USB adapter on a different USB port on this system? What happens then? Can you connect to web pages?
  • If #3 is unsuccessful, can you try the USB adapter on a different system? What happens then? Can you connect to web pages on this different system?
  • Lastly, if you know how to get to your router / access point device's log, are there any entries there that mention this system and USB adapter?
I'm not a expert on this but this information should help point us in the right direction. Thanks.

I am using Mcaffe & the firewall I mentioned is part of it.I don't see any yellow triangle on device manager-network or usb.I tried different USB hubs but not on different pc.My laptop connects directly to WIfi so I don't have any other PC to try it on apart from disabling the laptop's network connection.(Dont want to run into more trouble trying to enable it !).I reinstalled new drivers for the USB adapter too.I don't understand the last thing you mentioned about the router.I am unable to connect to webpages on google chrome or Internet explorer.Not sure if the adapter could be damaged as I did not remove it from it's hub.

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

I am using Mcaffe & the firewall I mentioned is part of it.I don't see any yellow triangle on device manager-network or usb.I tried different USB hubs but not on different pc.My laptop connects directly to WIfi so I don't have any other PC to try it on apart from disabling the laptop's network connection.(Dont want to run into more trouble trying to enable it !).I reinstalled new drivers for the USB adapter too.I don't understand the last thing you mentioned about the router.I am unable to connect to webpages on google chrome or Internet explorer.Not sure if the adapter could be damaged as I did not remove it from it's hub.

The USB adapter could be bad. However, give this a try. It has often worked for me.
Go into device manager and find the adapter and right click on it and choose uninstall or delete. If asked if you want to remove drivers say no. Then remove the USB adapter. Power down your computer. With the computer turned off plug the adapter back in but in a different USB port directly on the computer (not in a USB port on a USB hub). Plug in play should detect and install the drivers.

If possible, try the USB Wi-Fi adapter in another computer to establish if it is still good or not.