Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer constantly sounds like its loading something

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. I know other people have talked about this on here, but the entries seem a little dated so I want to ask again for any current information. I'm not an expert with computers, and I have just bought a new desktop from Newegg.com. I bought a Windows 7 Asus computer. The specs are good: Intel i7, 16 GB Ram, 2Tb hard drive. The only thing I have put on it so far is Norton Internet Security, and a Seagate external hard drive set up to automatically back up.

It just started to make sounds like its loading all the time the past couple days. It has been having a lot of updates when it shuts down. I don't know if that has anything to do with it so I thought I would mention that. I feel bummed that I payed so much for a good computer but it keeps having loading sounds.

Yesterday it seemed to be stuck when I tried to update Adobe Reader. It went very slow. As it was doing that, I tried to open Norton Internet Security and Norton would not open. After a while, things came to life again. I wouldn't think much about it but this computer is new so I worry I spent all my money and my computer might have problems already? Is it normal to have a loading sound a lot when I'm not doing anything on the computer? I had Norton Internet Security before on another computer recently and I didn't have any problems like this.

How can I find out what is causing that loading sound? Thanks for your help! I appreciate your time very much.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You should start Task Manager and under the tab Processes watch what is running when you are hearing your computer make that loading sound, maybe you will see the process or processes making your CPU or HDD work for it to make the sound.

NortonSupport

NortonSupport

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

This sounds like a problem due to the Indexing service. Try disabling Indexing service and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key and "R" key together to open the Run box.
2. In the Run dialog box, type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the Services window, double-click Indexing Service to open the Properties window.
4. Click the STOP button and then change the Startup type to Disabled.
5. Click Apply and then click Ok.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

This sounds like a problem due to the Indexing service. Try disabling Indexing service and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key and "R" key together to open the Run box.
2. In the Run dialog box, type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the Services window, double-click Indexing Service to open the Properties window.
4. Click the STOP button and then change the Startup type to Disabled.
5. Click Apply and then click Ok.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Hi Vineeth. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I was able to open the Services window, but I did not find Indexing Service. I looked everywhere in the box and in the menus above and I did not see it. Since you are from Norton, it gave me the idea to contact Norton support. I did that, and they remotely uninstalled Norton and my computer still had the loading sounds, so we determined it wasn't Norton.

Maybe the loading sounds are normal, but it doesn't seem right to me. Is it normal for a desktop to have constant loading sounds? Its not the fan, its like sporadic loading sounds similar to when the computer is booting up. Its not constant, but sporadically constant if that makes sense, like its loading something. Its kind of loud and annoying thats why I am inquiring.

I wish all I heard was the fan sound, instead of the loading sounds too. Is this normal? There is still time for me to return my computer for a replacement.

Thanks for your time! I appreciate it.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You should start Task Manager and under the tab Processes watch what is running when you are hearing your computer make that loading sound, maybe you will see the process or processes making your CPU or HDD work for it to make the sound.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I did that and I couldn't tell what was happening. I probably don't have enough computer knowledge to tell. I will see if I can figure out whats making the sound. Maybe its normal. Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
:welcome: 7070707

Can I ask whether or not you have tried disconnecting the external Seagate HDD to see if the noise is still present, If not please do so by first shutting down the computer and disconnecting the computer and external HDD etc from the mains electric, physically disconnect the external Seagate HDD from the computer (the USB cord) reconnect the computer to the power outlet and restart it, let us know if the noise is still present please.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome: 7070707

Can I ask whether or not you have tried disconnecting the external Seagate HDD to see if the noise is still present, If not please do so by first shutting down the computer and disconnecting the computer and external HDD etc from the mains electric, physically disconnect the external Seagate HDD from the computer (the USB cord) reconnect the computer to the power outlet and restart it, let us know if the noise is still present please.

Hi. Thank you for your reply and suggestion. Yes, I did turn off my computer, disconnected the Seagate external hard drive, turned my computer back on again, and it was still making the processing sounds. I did not uninstall the automatic backup software (Mimeo) that came with the hard drive though.

I talked to a guy at work today, and he thinks I should return the computer for a replacement, and if it still makes the loading sounds, then I just have to figure something else out. He thought I should get an SSD hard drive installed because he says they are very quiet.

I tried listening to other desktops at work today, and they aren't as loud as mine and don't seem to be making as many processing sounds. I might just return it for a replacement just to make sure there isn't a problem with the hardware, since I am still within the 30 days.

:/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Thanks for the update 7070707 :thumbsup:

As you have tried removing the external HDD yet the noise is still present it rules out data being copied from the internal to the external HDD as the cause.

Is Windows 7 now fully updated.

Can I ask if the noise is continuous and if the internal HDD activity LED is also continually blinking.

RE: The reply #2 information provided courtesy of Alzeimer;

As the computer is a brand name (ASUS) it is possible that it has a lot of bloatware on the HDD so checking the Task Manager will help to identify any unecassary junk that is clogging up and hindering the HDD;

To access the Task Manager press Ctrl+Shift+Esc - take a screenshot of what is displayed and attach it to your next reply please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Please download SINO by Artellos.
  • Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
  • Then please check the following checkboxes:

System Info
    Services
    Boot Check
    Tasklist
    Startup Items
    Event Log
    Ipconfig
    Ping
    Netstat
    Hosts file
    Shares
    Routing Table

• Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.
  • A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.
Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

As you have tried removing the external HDD yet the noise is still present it rules out data being copied from the internal to the external HDD as the cause.

Is Windows 7 now fully updated.

Can I ask if the noise is continuous and if the internal HDD activity LED is also continually blinking.

RE: The reply #2 information provided courtesy of Alzeimer;

As the computer is a brand name (ASUS) it is possible that it has a lot of bloatware on the HDD so checking the Task Manager will help to identify any unecassary junk that is clogging up and hindering the HDD;

To access the Task Manager press Ctrl+Shift+Esc - take a screenshot of what is displayed and attach it to your next reply please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Please download SINO by Artellos.
  • Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
  • Then please check the following checkboxes:

System Info
    Services
    Boot Check
    Tasklist
    Startup Items
    Event Log
    Ipconfig
    Ping
    Netstat
    Hosts file
    Shares
    Routing Table

• Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.
  • A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.
Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

Hi. Thank you again for your detailed reply. Today my computer has really improved with the loading sounds. Just today it finally has mellowed out and calmed down quite a bit with the loading sounds. It appears to be finished with the Windows 7 updates. I did find one other thing to remove, it was a software installed from my external hard drive. This computer does not have a light associated with the hard drive. I attached a copy of my task manager processes. I also downloaded SINO and ran a report, but is that safe to post in its entirety for everyone to see? I see it has my IP address and things like that. I just wanted to ask before I would post that to a public place.

Also, last night I called Asus technical support, and he helped me reset my bios. Maybe that helped even though at the time it didn't seem to change much.

Maybe my computer knows I might return it so it is trying to be quiet.

What are your thoughts after you look at my task manager print screen? Today, everything seems ok with my computer. There are some loading sounds but not as much as before. The loading sounds I currently hear sound like they would be normal.

I think I have learned that with my next computer I might like an SSD drive since from what I have read there aren't loading sounds with those. I could even look into having someone put one into this computer I have. I would have less hard drive space but I think that would take care of the hard drive loading sounds. The sound of the fan doesn't bother me.

Thank you again for your time! I appreciate it very much.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi sorry I forgot to attach the file. Thanks.Task manager print screen.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Task manager print screen.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Nothing of particular note in Task Manager and as the noise appears to have settled down it may have been caused by Windows updates being downloaded and installed.

As an asides the SINO report is perfectly safe to attach here however for now as the issue may be resolved you can keep the report on your desktop and only provide it if the problem reappears.

Regarding fitting an SSD, this I would recommend doing as they are not only very quiet they also boot up very fast, what I would suggest would be to fit an SSD and then clone the OS from the present HDD onto the SSD (many SSDs are provided with free software to do this) set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS, store only the OS on the SSD and then use the present HDD for storing your future data to, doing this means that you will have a back up of your OS should it ever be needed, we will help with all of this if you decide it is what you would like to do, an example SSD here

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Nothing of particular note in Task Manager and as the noise appears to have settled down it may have been caused by Windows updates being downloaded and installed.

As an asides the SINO report is perfectly safe to attach here however for now as the issue may be resolved you can keep the report on your desktop and only provide it if the problem reappears.

Regarding fitting an SSD, this I would recommend doing as they are not only very quiet they also boot up very fast, what I would suggest would be to fit an SSD and then clone the OS from the present HDD onto the SSD (many SSDs are provided with free software to do this) set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS, store only the OS on the SSD and then use the present HDD for storing your future data to, doing this means that you will have a back up of your OS should it ever be needed, we will help with all of this if you decide it is what you would like to do, an example SSD here

Hi thanks so much for your great reply! I really like your idea of installing an SSD. I have printed out this info and will keep it when I decide to do it. I think for now I will just keep it as is but down the line put in an SSD. Thanks so much for your time. I will come back to ask questions when I need more help. I would like to take a Computer Science class too so I can understand this stuff better. I appreciate your time and the information. Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words 7070707 :)

A sensible approach in getting yourself comfortable with the present set up and only upgrading when you are ready :thumbsup:

Please feel free to return to this topic when you are ready to upgrade or if you have any further questions along the way.