Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New MB, old HD, won't boot

• Please log in to reply

venkdaddy

venkdaddy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So, my first attempt to move my old MB to a fancy new case resulted in me shorting the MB out. I just installed a new MB and CPU, and I managed to not kill this one. However, I'm using my old HD and I can't get the system to boot. It gets to the point where I can choose between going into system repair mode, or trying to start Windows normally. If I choose to start it normally, it tries for a few seconds, then goes right to the Blue Screen of Not Booting™. I tried going into system repair mode, but the automatic repair stuff doesn't work. A system restore didn't help either. The errors it listed on the diagnostic were:

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21199700
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailOver
Problem Signature 06: 4
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause

I tried making a System Repair disk on my laptop and booting my new system from that, but it doesn't seem like the system wants to boot from the DVD drive. (The BIOS recognizes both the HD and the DVD drive.)

I have the CD of drivers that came with the new MB, and I'm thinking once I get those installed, everything should be okay. But I can't figure out how to boot the system to be able to install the new drivers.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
-john

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Gday.
Your MB has various chipsets which use drivers that were installed when you loaded windows on your 1st MB. Now windows is trying to load those drivers and not finding the hardware associated with them.

You need to have a working OS first to be able to install the MB disc stuff.

Do you have an OS disc and product key? What version please?
Did you back up your Data from that HDD?

venkdaddy

venkdaddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have my old Vista install disc somewhere (hopefully). I'll try to dig it up.

I didn't back up my HDD because it was supposed to go back with its old MB. Will I need to reinstall the OS and wipe the old HDD, or can I boot from the install disc and install the drivers?

I've been thinking of getting a SSD anyway, so if I'm going to end up having to reinstall the OS, I'll probably just buy the SSD, install the OS on that, then install the new MB drivers and be able to access my old HDD. That should theoretically, work, right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello venkdaddy

If I may chime in while iammykyl is offline;

The following canned text is intended to be informative and not alarmist :thumbsup:

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

As iammykyl explained earlier there will be conflicts with the different MB drivers, however in addition to this you would encounter problems with the OS itself when you tried to update it, the Microsoft database would detect the presence of the OS product key and it would then be flagged up as already being in use with another MB, in this instance you will often be denied the updates and be asked to contact Microsoft to resolve the issue.

What OS is on the present HDD that you are trying to use and is it a full retail version or an OEM version.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Thanks Phillpower2 for coming in with the additional information and help.

venkdaddy

I've been thinking of getting a SSD anyway, so if I'm going to end up having to reinstall the OS, I'll probably just buy the SSD, install the OS on that, then install the new MB drivers and be able to access my old HDD. That should theoretically, work, right?

Yes, exactly what I would have suggested. You can attempt a repair install but is heaps of work and usually you end up with a unstable system.
I would recoommend the Samsung Evo for a SSD, included is Samsung SSD Magician and migration software. > http://www.newegg.co...147-253:$$$$$$$

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :)

venkdaddy

venkdaddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I still haven't found my old Vista install disk yet, but it came with my Dell, so I'm pretty sure it's an OEM version.

I'll go ahead and buy the SSD and a new OS. I've heard Windows 8.1 isn't completely horrible, once you get used to it... :)

Thanks again for your help. This site is super-awesome.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Your welcome venkdaddy.

Haven't used 8 yet, so con't comment.
Please make sure to disconnect the existing HDD before installing the SSD/OS/drivers. as sometimes, poor old windows installer gets mixed up and can put part of your new OS onto the old/second HDD.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Windows 8 is exactly that, great - once you get used to it. As long as you're aware it's different, and give yourself a bit of time to get used to it, you'll be fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Having run W8 Pro from the consumer preview to the final release and then upgrading to W8.1 I can say that I like it.

It is possible to make a small saving by purchasing W8 and then downloading the free Windows 8.1 upgrade, this offer will not last however and while I cannot give you the date that the offer will cease I can provide a link to some further information, see here

FWIW the preview version of 8.1 will end on January 15th 2014.