Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imagination or fact ?

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
When I tap the space bar a few times, it almost certainly seems to accelerate the response, particularly at start-up or sometimes when response online is taking a long time.

Why is this ?

Advertisements

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hello John Bull :)

I don't think that's possible. While browsing, space bar is used instead of Page Down.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hello John Bull :)

I don't think that's possible. While browsing, space bar is used instead of Page Down.

It is when the screen is "in response" that my comments refer to.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "in response". Do you mean hitting space stops the slowness / hangs and everything gets back to normal?

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "in response". Do you mean hitting space stops the slowness / hangs and everything gets back to normal?

No, my "in response" means the time taken to bring up a site from the mouse click. Sometimes it can be far too long. That is called response time. Rather like when you press a door bell and nobody comes. You then press it a few more times and somebody does come. That is called increasing response time.

As my title suggests, tapping the space bar may well be imaginary and the result pure coincidence, but it does seem to work most of the time. There is some logic in it, as tapping the space bar obviously sends a signal or pulse to Windows and that signal could well accelerate the rate of response.

It is particularly noticeable on start-up and opening the browser from the desktop.
I am simply asking whether the space bar signal has any effect in speeding up a poor response.

Edited by John Bull, 22 December 2013 - 05:42 AM.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
It didn't work for me. If it does for you, keep doing it.

As far as I know, it does not have any effect on speeding up response. But I could be wrong.

Let's wait & see if anyone else has other ideas. :)

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

It didn't work for me. If it does for you, keep doing it.

As far as I know, it does not have any effect on speeding up response. But I could be wrong.

Let's wait & see if anyone else has other ideas. :)

You are most likely correct, but I just will not disbelieve that there are fairies at the bottom of my garden and I still believe in Father Christmas.

Thank you so much and my best wishes for a Happy Christmas Holiday
John

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Thank you very much John. :)

Have a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year