Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse Pad Driver and Wireless Mouse Messed Up

• Please log in to reply

kellerz

kellerz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem #1 - I assume this is a software issue, but could possibly be hardware? When I start my computer, my mouse pad works just fine. Somewhere between 30-90 minutes, it will start acting up until I can no longer use it. It sticks and will scroll instead of moving, but clicking still works fine. After a while, it basically stops being able to move at all, only click. I force shutdown and upon booting back up, the mouse pad works fine again. I am using a Gateway ID49C07u. Under the task manager, there are three processes for Alps Pointing-device Driver running... Apoint.exe, Hidfind.exe, and ApntEx.exe.

Problem #2 - My wireless mouse does nothing when I connect it to the USB port and turn it on. When connecting the the USB, the chime goes off that a new drive was connected, but I can't move the cursor. I had this problem about a year ago too, different mouse but exact same type. I think I might have messed up the software? I don't remember what I did though, wish I had more information. The mouse is a GE Mouse Wireless Optical Mini.

Problem #3 - When my computer goes into sleep mode, pressing the power button doesn't turn it back on. I need to hold the power button down to force it to shutdown, then reboot to get it to turn back on.

I'm really just looking for help with problem #1, but if you'd like to help with the others that would be nice too. Thanks so much!! Geeks to Go is awesome!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: kellerz

#3 is most likely due to a power setting and 1 and 2 hardware related as opposed to software, this is why your topic has been moved to hardware as I feel you will get more appropriate assistance here.

#1 Possible causes may include overheating and a loose connection, does the base of the notebook feel hot when the issue occurs, a loose track pad ribbon is harder to diagnose and resolve as it involves partially dismantling the notebook

#2 Does the USB device that you plug into the notebook have a small circular button in the centre that needs to be pressed until it flashes and you then press the small button on the mouse itself to pair the two devices, if yes has this been tried.

#3 This should be left until we have addressed the two issues above, this to avoid any possible confusion.

kellerz

kellerz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer does overheat if I don't leave the vents fully unblocked. I haven't noticed a correlation to the mouse pad not working, but I will take notice when it stops working next.

The USB device does not have any button to press. It is model 99914.

kellerz

kellerz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope. My computer was still cool and the mousepad was hardly working after about 15 minutes. Sometimes when it is messed up and sticking, it will only move slightly up and down. Rebooting fixes it temporarily.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
It will be warm enough inside the computer for electrical contacts to expand and so break the circuit, lets see if we can resolve the USB mouse issue so that you can hopefully use that while you do the troubleshooting.

I have done some research on the GE Mouse Wireless Optical Mini range of mice and what I found suggests that the receiver that you plug into the USB port does have a hard to see connect button, please see the information below and then take a closer look at the mouse receiver please;

3. Special Mouse Functions
• To turn your mouse off while traveling, press and hold the scroll wheel button.
While pressing the scroll wheel button, press the link button on the bottom of the mouse.
To turn the mouse on repeat this process.

• The mouse will go to sleep when idle for a long period of time to save batteries.
To wake the mouse, press any mouse button.
• When the Low Battery LED (located near the scroll wheel) is illuminated, change the batteries. See Section 4. You will need to re-link your mouse. See Section 5.

5. Hardware Installation Please keep these directions in a safe place. Each time you replace the batteries you will need to re-link your mouse.
1) Insert the enclosed batteries into the battery compartment of your mouse following the directions in Section 3.
2) Plug the Optical Mini Mouse receiver into an available USB port on your computer or USB hub. It is not necessary to reboot your computer.
3) If prompted, insert your Windows disk and follow the on screen instructions. (This step is not necessary for all operating systems. Your system will prompt you if it is necessary.)
4) Press the link button on your receiver.
5) Press the link button on the bottom of your mouse.
6) Your mouse should now function normally. Move your mouse to test functionality.

kellerz

kellerz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There is no link button on the receiver or on the bottom of the mouse, not even a hole to stick a needle into. On the bottom of the mouse there is an on/off switch. The information that you found applies to a different model. The only thing in the instruction book is where to find/store the receiver, how to replace the batteries, and where to find the on/off switch.

kellerz

kellerz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is why I was trying to buy a wired mouse but Target was all out... I have gone through at least 5 of this same type of mouse, they only last a few weeks/months before they are no longer usable. You get what you paid for, but I had just been buying a new one and returning the broken one. Free working mouse again. But now I think It is probably not worth your or my effort to try and get this cheap thing working. I'm just going to toss it for something better or wired. Frugal college kids will be frugal!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Ok :thumbsup:

Would it be possible for you to borrow a working mouse so that you can do some troubleshooting with the track pad.